Things to do before moving
“If you fail to plan you plan to fail.” Have you ever heard this little saying? I think it applies perfectly to moving. The good news is that you can have a successful, worry-free move just by doing a little prep work ahead of time.
I think you’ll find that comprehensive research and a pre-determined moving budget will help you feel much more comfortable about the moving company you hire, and make moving day (and the days leading up to and following it) go much more smoothly. Aside from researching moving companies, it’s also a great idea to research your new community. Start by requesting a newcomer’s packet from the Chamber of Commerce, visitor’s center, or your realtor. Knowing what to expect before you get there makes a difference!
U-Pack offers a great, comprehensive, printable moving checklist to help make this part of the moving process easier. Take a look at it, or look at the highlights below:
Things to do when you’re 7-8 weeks from moving day:
- Make a “moving file” to keep up with moving quotes and other important moving information. Keep this with you on moving day.
- Compile important records/documents you may need, like: legal & financial documents, dental/medical/veterinarian/shot/school records, etc.
- Contact your local insurance agent to make arrangements for coverage on your new home and coverage for your move.
Things to do when you’re 6 weeks from moving day:
- Start paring down your household items. Go from room to room (including closets) and get rid of items you no longer need or want. Donate gently used items to local shelters/charities or have a yard sale.
- Inventory items and valuables you’ll be moving. Take photographs of your belongings for insurance purposes in case something gets lost or broken during the move.
Things to do when you’re 4-5 weeks from moving day:
- Check with your city administration to verify whether or not parking permits are required for moving trailers.
- Schedule for utilities to be turned of and/or transferred.
- Change of address through the USPS, and begin collecting moving materials like boxes, packing paper, markers, tape, etc.
Things to do when you’re 1-3 weeks from moving day:
- Empty safe deposit boxes, close bank accounts, and notify creditors of your move.
- Create a moving box of important items to keep with you on the move (i.e., spare clothes and toiletry items); keep valuables with you.
- Leave contact information with a friend or family member in case of an emergency.
- Keep all receipts of moving expenses.
The key to a successful move is preparation. Plan ahead so you can have an easy, stress-free, and affordable move. To see how much you’ll save moving with U-Pack, get a free moving quote here, or call us at 800-413-4799!