Requesting a USPS change of address
There are many things to handle when you’re moving, and one critical task is updating your mailing address. You don’t want to miss important mail while settling in at your new home. Luckily, the United States Post Office® makes changing addresses easy with a Mover’s Guide Packet you can fill out online or in person at a local post office.
How to change your U.S. postal mailing address
You start by filling out PS Form 3575 in the Mover’s Guide Packet. This form is available for permanently or temporarily changing the address of a business, a family or an individual.
Accessing the Mover’s Guide through the USPS website is easiest, or you can visit a local post office for a paper copy.
Steps for filling out Change of Address PS Form 3575 online
1. Select Business, Family or Individual.
2. Indicate if the move is temporary.
3. Enter the start date for the mail forwarding and the end date for temporary moves.
4. Enter the moving party's name, current address and email. Make sure the email address is one you check regularly since you will receive a confirmation link.
5. Enter the address for the new home. If you choose to get a PO box in a new city, enter that in the “street address field.”
6. Confirm your information.
7. Verify your identity with a credit or debit card and pay the $1.10 validation fee (current for 2024). Note: The USPS does not accept address change requests from third-party businesses. If the validation charge is listed for more than $1.10, make sure to verify you’re on the official USPS website.
8. Submit the form.
Not sure where you’re moving? Learn about moving without a forwarding address.
What else should I know about changing my address with the post office?
While changing your address and setting up mail forwarding are necessary steps on a moving checklist, it’s also important to update your address with banks, credit cards, government agencies and utility companies.
Here are some other things to keep in mind:
- If moving family members have different last names, each person must fill out a change of address form.
- You cannot submit an international change of address online.
- Mail forwarding lasts 12 months for First-Class Mail®, Priority Mail Express® and Media Mail®. Periodical forwarding lasts 60 days, and USPS Marketing Mail® will only be forwarded if the mailer specifies.
- Extended mail forwarding is available for additional fees of $19.95 for 6 months, $29.95 for 12 months and $39.95 for 18 months.
- Don’t forget to update your address with family and friends. Here are some great tips to let them know you’re moving.
Still planning your move?
If you’re still planning your long-distance move, U-Pack® can help. We’re a self-moving service where you handle packing, loading and unloading, and then we take care of the driving.
You can get a free quote online or call 844-362-5303844-594-3077 to speak to a moving consultant. If you have questions about changing your address or how U-Pack works, let us know in the comments. We’re happy to help!
More articles you might like...