Moving long-distance without a new address?
Moving can be stressful if you don’t know where you’ll live. But not having a forwarding address doesn’t mean you can’t start planning. U-Pack® has more than 25 years of experience in out-of-state moving, and we can help even if all the details aren’t worked out yet.
Book a U-Pack move without a permanent destination
Moving prices can increase when booked at the last minute, and you don’t want to get into a situation where you need to move but can’t find equipment. With U-Pack, it’s easy to make a reservation without the final address.
- Start with our free online quote that takes the basic details: origin and destination cities, approximate date and home size.
- Provide your email address to save your estimate.
- Start your reservation online or call at 844-362-5303844-594-3077 to speak with one of our moving consultants.
- Provide your credit card number to hold your reservation. There’s no deposit, and if plans change, you can cancel up to 7 days prior to the move with no charge.
- Update the final address with U-Pack before delivery day. If the city or zip code changes, let us know as soon as possible so we can update the quote*.
*Changing the zip code could result in a price change or an inability to provide service.
What else should I do when moving without a forwarding address?
Moving services are only part of relocating — there are other tasks to complete for the move. Use our moving checklist for a step-by-step plan and helpful tips for taking care of everything before and after the move.
You might also wonder about short-term lodging, receiving mail and finding storage for your belongings. Keep reading to learn more about these important aspects of moving.
Finding a place to stay
Whether it’s for a few days, weeks or months, you’ll need somewhere to sleep while you search for a new place or wait for move-in day. You could stay with friends or family or if you’re moving for a new job, the employer might offer short-term housing. If those options aren’t available for you, check out our guide for finding temporary housing.
Getting your mail
Once you’re settled, you’ll need to complete a postal change of address. But what should you do to get mail while staying somewhere temporarily? Try one of these four ways:
- Request general delivery. With this service, the closest USPS® location designated for general delivery will hold mail for 30 days for pick-up in person with a photo I.D. Speak with the postmaster or call 1-800-275-8777.
- Rent a P.O. box. A post office box is probably the best way to get letters and packages without a permanent address. Use this guide for getting a P.O. Box in a new city.
- Use the address of a friend or family member. If you know someone local, ask to forward mail to their home temporarily.
- Take delivery at work. If your employer agrees, have mail delivered to the office while searching for a new place to live.
Storing your things
You might need to store your belongings while waiting to move into a new place. You could use a local storage unit, but if you’re moving with U-Pack, ReloCubes® can be stored at a local service center for a monthly fee. The pricing for Cube storage varies per location and is often comparable to rent for storage units — only you won’t have the extra work of unloading everything to store it.
Once you’ve found a place, just give us a call and we can arrange delivery from storage in as soon as 24-48 hours depending on availability. Or choose to unload at the service center for added savings.
Have more questions?
If you have any questions about planning your out-of-state move, leave a comment below or give us a call at 844-362-5303844-594-3077. For questions about mail forwarding, contact the USPS at 1-800-275-8777.
More articles you might like...