How to Change Voter Registration When You're Moving Out of State

Make sure your vote still counts after moving out of state 

Voting in elections is the constitutional right of U.S. citizens who meet the requirements. But to vote on local, state or national issues, you must be registered to vote in your state.  

If you’ve moved to another state or plan to soon, you’ll need to change your voter registration address so you won’t be turned away at the polls. Keep reading to learn the proper steps and timeline. 

Person casting a vote after moving and changing voter registration.


Steps to update voter registration 

Here’s what you’ll need to do to vote in your new state: 

1. Update your ID and state residency

To register, you must be a state resident with an updated ID. Visit the local Department of Motor Vehicles to update your ID. While you’re there, you can also register your vehicle in the new state (if applicable). 

Check out this guide for establishing state residency

2. Check registration deadlines

After establishing your new address, you’ll want to check the registration deadlines for the next election. While some states allow registration until Election Day, most require updates at least 30 days before an election. 

The U.S. Vote Foundation provides a list of state and U.S. territory election deadlines and requirements you can review to make sure there is enough time to register before the next election. 

If you can’t register in time for Election Day, you can request an absentee ballot from your previous state to vote in national elections.  

3. Register

In all U.S. territories and states except North Dakota, voter registration is required. North Dakota residents must present a valid state-issued ID or sign an affidavit with proof of address to vote in elections. 

Depending on where you move, you might have options to register in person, online or through the mail. 

In-person registration 

Most states and territories allow you to register in person when you update your driver’s license or ID at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Just ask for the form.  

You can also visit the state or territory’s election office. 

Mail registration

Download and print the National Mail Voter Registration Form for all states except New Hampshire, North Dakota and Wyoming. Fill out the form and then mail it with proper postage using the instructions listed for your state.

Online registration 

Forty-two states, plus the District of Columbia and Guam, allow online registration. Select your state or territory on the United States Election Assistance Commission’s voter website to view instructions. 

4. Verify

Use the United States Election Assistance Commission’s registration verification form to check your status. You can also contact your state’s Attorney General or state election office. 

Contact your local election official or the Attorney General’s office for more information if your registration was rejected. 

5. Cancel previous registration (if applicable) 

When your new voter registration is active, you must contact your previous state to cancel the previous one. Voting in more than one state is illegal, and ending old registrations helps prevent voter fraud. 

FAQs about changing the address on voter’s registration 

Here are answers to some common questions about registration. 

What if my move is temporary? Can I still vote?  

You can request an absentee ballot if you’re temporarily away from home. This is a good option for deployed military personnel and spouses or students away at college.  

Make sure to request the ballot early from your State Election Office and send it back before the election deadline.  

Do I still have to update if I’m moving within the state?  

You will still need to update your voter registration address to match your driver’s license or state-issued ID. 

Is the process different when moving to a U.S. territory?  

Residents in the U.S. territories don’t vote in general elections for President, but they do vote in local elections and some primaries.  

Voter registration and election policies vary by territory. Here are the places to contact for more information: 

Still have questions?   

U-Pack® recommends contacting your local election official or these government resources for assistance: 

Keep up with other moving tasks 

Relocating to another state takes a lot of work, and U-Pack is here to help. Check out our comprehensive moving checklist to stay on task.  

If you’re still planning your move, don’t forget to get a free U-Pack quote online or call us at 844-362-5303844-594-3077 to see how much you can save.