Getting a discount on your move
With the cost of goods rising, many people are using sales and coupons to help them stick to their budget for household purchases. But did you know you can use the same tactics to save money on a long-distance move? It’s always a good idea to compare prices for moving companies to make sure you’re getting the best deal, but it’s also smart to see if you can save a few extra dollars with a coupon.
Save money with U-Pack coupons
As a self-moving service (you handle packing, loading and unloading, then we transport your things), U-Pack provides our customers with the best possible price for out-of-state moves. We also provide multiple (and stackable!) discounts to help customers save even more. Our discounts include:
- Reserve online and automatically get $25 off
- Get $25 off with promo code BLOG25 (Thanks for reading the U-Pack blog!)
- Active military members can use code MIL50 for an extra $50 discount
- Ask about senior discounts
- Ask about student discounts if you’re moving to or from college
Compare to promo codes for other movers
If you’re looking for discount codes for other moving services, the best source of information is usually the mover’s website. Third-party sites like RetailMeNot.com or CouponBirds.com might also list coupon codes, but not all the codes will work. You can also try an online search for “Name of mover” and “coupon” or “discount” to find results.
Here’s what we found, but keep in mind that deals are subject to change at any time:
Coupons for truck rental
If you’re thinking of renting a moving truck, Budget®, Penske® or U-Haul® may come to mind. While these companies offer discounts, they can vary based on location.
- Budget: often offers percentage-off deals for groups such as U.S. Soldiers, students and first responders.
- Penske: has limited-time monthly coupon codes and deals for military, students and AAA members.
- U-Haul: occasionally offers discounted rates for select routes and locations.
Discounts for full-service moves
- Bekins®: advertises discounts for members of National Active Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) or Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) and directs potential customers to reach out to a local agent about other moving deals.
- Mayflower® and United Van Lines® (both owned by UniGroup, C.A.): We couldn’t find any coupons listed on their websites.
Deals for portable storage containers
- 1-800-Pack-Rat®: Lists limited-time discounts for local or long-distance moves booked on their website and offers 10% discounts for military, first-responders, teachers, healthcare workers and seniors. The discounts can’t be combined.
- PODS®: Offers various discounts on storage fees and 10% off moves for military.
- SMARTBOX®: Offers $20 discounts for college faculty and staff and an unspecified discount for college students.
Even if you can score a discount with another mover, U-Pack is often the cheapest way to move. As a DIY-moving service, you take care of packing, loading and unloading. Then we handle transporting your stuff through our efficient freight network and pass the savings on to you! Our stackable discounts are available year-round.
How else can I save money while moving?
When you change your address with the U.S. Post Office, check out the packet of coupons you’ll get for the new area. Offers will vary based on the location but often include things like discounts for gym memberships, restaurants and tourist attractions.
Also be sure to stop by a local visitor center or chamber of commerce when you arrive. These places might also have coupons available for merchandise and activities near your new home.
If you have questions about U-Pack services or coupons, let us know in the comments! We’re here to help! If you’re ready for a free quote, request one online or call 844-362-5303844-594-3077 to speak to a moving consultant.
U-Haul®is a registered trademark of U-Haul International, Inc. Budget®is a registered trademark of Budget Truck Rental, LLC. Penske® is a registered trademark of Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P. Bekins Van Lines is a registered trademark of Bekins Van Lines, Inc. Mayflower®is a registered trademark of Mayflower Transit, LLC and UniGroup, C.A.. United Van Lines® is a registered trademark of United Van Lines, LLC and UniGroup, C.A. 1-800-Pack-Rat® is a registered trademark of 1-800-Pack-Rat, LLC. PODS® is a registered trademark of PODS Enterprises, Inc. SMARTBOX® is a registered trademark of SMARTBOX Solutions, Inc. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third party.
More articles you might like...