Home / Categories / Moving Cost / When an "Instant Moving Quote" isn't so Instant

When an "Instant Moving Quote" isn't so Instant

July 26th, 2012 - 3:08 PM

Just about every page of the U-Pack web site has a big orange button that says “Get Instant Quote!” For 85% of our customers, when they click the orange button, a price and move details appear. In fact, U-Pack is one of VERY few moving companies to provide a truly instant price quote. 

Most moving companies require a phone number. After you provide your move details (where you’re moving from, where you’re moving to and when), they tell you that they’ll call you….at their convenience, they’ll tell you that you need to call them (during business hours), or, they’ll follow up with an email. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love email. At U-Pack, we actually follow your instant quote with an email that provides more details about your move, and sometimes, we’ll offer more moving options in the quote email.

So you might be wondering about the stats that I mentioned in the beginning that 85% of our moving quotes are instant. What about the other 15%? Why aren’t those quotes instant as well? In some cases, our representatives have to review several sources in order to calculate a price for your move. For example, let’s say you’re moving to Hawaii (wish I was!). Our representatives need to calculate all of the different pieces of your move -- such as costs to move across the ocean and deliver on the islands -- to ensure that the price we give you is correct.

When we can’t provide an instant quote, we’ll ask for your email address and follow your request with an email, usually within just a few hours. You can reply to the email to initiate a conversation with our representatives, or give us a call at 800-413-4799. (Speaking of our reps, they’re some of the most interesting people you’ll ever meet, even if just by phone or email. And they know A LOT about moving, so don’t hesitate to ask them anything you might be wondering about.)

Have you tried to get an instant moving quote from U-Pack or other moving services? Tell us about it.