Moving by Myself
You asked: “Help! I’m Moving by Myself. How do I do it?”
Sound familiar? You’re moving across the country to start a new job. It’s all so exciting! But here’s the problem, you don’t have anyone who can help. Sure, you’re only moving a small apartment, but how are you going to load the big stuff yourself? And what about getting your car there? Towing it behind a rental truck is an option, but it certainly doesn’t sound like fun. If you’re moving by yourself, we have some solutions to help make your move much more manageable. Let’s take a look.
I’m moving by myself and need help driving
Here’s the thing about moving by yourself: you’re the only one able to drive. And if you own a vehicle, things get a little more complicated – specifically if you’re considering renting a truck and driving it yourself. You can tow your vehicle behind a rental truck, or you can move with a company that does the driving for you.
Letting someone else drive the moving truck so you can drive in the comfort and safety of your own vehicle sounds like a MUCH better solution.
Pulling a trailer behind a vehicle is no easy task. Doing it by yourself is just plain difficult.
If you’re making the trip across the country by yourself, here are some tips for driving alone:
- Make safety a priority by getting up-to-speed on ways to stay safe on the road. Check out these driving safety tips from Progressive Insurance and these safety tips for women driving alone.
- Don’t forget your cell phone charger – and keep it charged. You’ll need to be prepared if you have car trouble or an emergency.
- Don’t push yourself too much. Take a break every 200 miles or so, and if you’re tired, find a safe place to stop and rest. Staying awake at the wheel may be a little more difficult if you’re traveling by yourself.
- Pack a suitcase like you’re going on vacation and include essentials like clothing, toiletries, medicines, personal electronics, and anything else you may need right away.
I’m moving by myself and need help packing
If you’re the one responsible for loading and unloading every single box, you’ll want to keep the weight of those boxes top of mind. A manageable weight is usually under 40 lbs., but you may want to aim even a little lighter than that. Choosing small or medium moving boxes will help! Check out U-Pack’s packing tips for some great information on the best ways to pack.
I’m moving by myself and need help moving the big stuff
This is probably one of the biggest concerns when it comes to moving by yourself. One person is capable of doing only so much. So what do you do if you need to move heavy furniture and have no one to help?
We recommend hiring help for loading or unloading. If you need assistance with the big stuff (or everything), U-Pack can refer you to a nationwide network of pre-qualified movers that can help on either end of your move.
While this type of hourly labor is designed to be affordable, sometimes your budget just doesn’t allow. If that’s the case, here are some things that may make it a little easier.
- Get “free” assistance. I know, this is sometimes easier said than done. But if you’re unable to do it alone, don’t be a hero. Ask a neighbor, friend or family member to help out. If you belong to church or other group, you may even be able to get help there. You won’t know unless you ask.
- Use furniture slides. These little gliders placed under furniture allow you to slide furniture across the floor without much effort. You should be able to buy them at most home improvement stores. Just be careful not to damage your floor while sliding the furniture.
- Use a dolly. There are some things you just can’t carry – whether alone or with a little neighborly help. Used in combination with furniture slides, a dolly can make the process much, much more manageable.
The Easy Way to Move By Yourself
As long as you’re prepared, moving by yourself is definitely doable. And if you want to make it as stress-free as possible (and affordable), U-Pack is an excellent option. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to get a free, no-obligation quote from U-Pack. No worries about anyone coming to your home to look at your stuff for an in-home estimate; just get an instant price online.
If you have any questions, or if we can help make your move a little easier, give us a call at 800-413-4799 or leave a comment below!