Shipping Container Rental
Rent Shipping Containers from U-Pack®
Shipping containers can be used for many things. Sure, you’ve probably seen some posts online where people use them for pools, garages, or even homes – but the most common uses are moving and storage. Renting a shipping container is easy, and when you rent one from U-Pack, they’re affordable too.
Are U-Pack containers available in my area?
We offer door-to-door shipping of household goods to 90% of the United States with areas in all 50 states including Alaska and Hawaii. We also offer shipping container rental in Puerto Rico and Canada. If we can’t service your locations directly, we have access to over 240 terminals where you can load, unload, or both. To see if your location is serviceable directly, click for a free U-Pack shipping quote or call a moving specialist at 800-413-4799.
What size shipping containers are available to rent?
We offer two different sized moving containers for rent for cross country moving: ReloCubes and trailers.
- ReloCubes are 6’ x 7’ x 8’ weatherproof, metal containers. They have a weight limit of 2,500 lbs. They hold about one room’s worth of furnishings and boxes, and they fit into a standard parking space. You can use one shipping Cube or several – just reserve as many as you think you’ll need. The best part? You only pay for the ones you use. ReloCube rental is available within the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Puerto Rico, and Canada.
- Trailers are 28’ x 8’ 9’ metal containers with a loading capacity of about 2,000 cubic feet. You can use the entire trailer, or part of it. The trailer is divided into linear feet, which is an area that is one foot long, eight feet wide and 9 feet tall. You can use as little as five linear feet, or up to the whole trailer – you just pay for the space you use. Trailer shipping containers can be used for moves within the United States (including Alaska, and Hawaii), or for those to or from Puerto Rico and Canada.
Need help estimating how much space you'll need for your shipment? Try out our Simple Space Estimator.
For offshore moves to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska, we also offer ocean containers.
- Ocean containers are 40 ft. long metal shipping containers and can hold up to 44,000 lbs. They are priced per container, and are used for moves to/from Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska. If you’re moving in or out of one of these locations, call 800-413-4799 for an ocean container rental quote.
How does shipping container rental work?
U-Pack makes shipping household goods easy.
- We deliver the containers to your door, and in most locations, you have three business days to load.
- Cubes and trailers have logistics tracking or tie-down points, so you can secure your items as you load.
- Next, we pick up the containers and deliver them to your new home. Transit times average just 2-5 business days for the continental U.S., 5-7 for Canada, 7-8 days for Hawaii, 7-11 for Puerto Rico, and 8-15 for Alaska. Expedited options are available with U-Pack Guaranteed.
- Once the shipping containers arrive at destination, you have three business days to unload.
- If you need to add storage at origin or destination, we can store Cubes or trailers for as long as you need.
What is the price to rent a shipping container?
Because each shipment is unique, prices are calculated based on the type of shipping container, how many containers you rent, and where you’re shipping to/from. You can get a free quote online, or by calling 800-413-4799. Often, U-Pack is the most affordable shipping option because prices are based on space, rather than weight.
If you get a quote for one type of container, but want a quote for another, no problem! Just email email@example.com with your quote number and let us know what type of shipping container rental you prefer. We’ll check availability and email a new quote.
Shipping Containers for Sale
If you’re in the market for used shipping containers, they’re now available for purchase at ABFusedequipment.com.
These are all metal containers measuring approximately 6’ x 7’ x 8’ (LWH) and have been used primarily to ship household goods cross country. To view a complete list of the shipping containers available for sale, simply click the “Inventory List” tab at the top of the page and scroll to the “Used Containers” heading. You’ll find information about where the container is currently located, the manufacturer, and the year model and sale price.
If a container is not available at a location near you, they can be shipped to another ABF Freight service center for a fee. If you have additional questions, you’re interested in purchasing a shipping container, or you would like to see a photo of a specific container, please contact Mike Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org (images are available for most containers).
Have additional questions about shipping container rental?
If you have any questions about shipping container rental that we haven’t covered, please give us a call at 800-413-4799 or leave a comment below. We’re happy to help!