Home / Categories / Parking / How do I get a parking permit for a moving truck?

How do I get a parking permit for a moving truck?

October 4th, 2013 - 9:59 AM

Do I need a parking permit for my moving truck?

If we had a nickel for every time this great question was asked… well, we’d have a lot of nickels. Whether you’re driving the truck yourself, or having a company like U-Pack do the driving, you may need a parking permit.

Parking rules and regulations vary from city to city, so it’s very important to check the requirements as far in advance as you can (and definitely before moving day). Ignoring the need for a permit may result in being charged fees. Or worse, the equipment could be towed, leaving you responsible for the charges. 

If you plan to park your moving truck, trailer, or container on private property (like your driveway) you may not need a permit. However, if it will block the sidewalk (like this picture from one of our customer's blogs) you’ll want to check with the city before parking the equipment.  

If you plan to park in the street, at an apartment complex, in a residential neighborhood with an HOA, or at a storage facility, you’re much more likely to need a parking permit (or at least permission). If your parking situation looks anything like the pictures below, make sure to get permission and permits if necessary, before moving day.

Side note: In most locations, the equipment will need to be left overnight. If you need it picked up sooner, speak with your U-Pack moving specialist (800-413-4799) – often we’re able to make special accommodations.

Parking at a Storage Facility

Are you planning to park the trailer or container at a storage facility like this U-Pack customer? Contact the storage facility manager to get permission. They'll be able to tell you where the equpment should be placed, and advise how long it can be parked there.

Parking in a Parking Lot

Does your parking situation look similar to this customer’s (in an apartment complex parking lot)? This is another situation where parking permits may not be necessary, but you definitely want to get permission from your apartment manager or landlord.


Get permission before parking a container in a parking lot.

Street Parking

If your parking situation looks anything like what you see in the image below, parking permission – and normally a parking permit – is necessary.  


Parking permits are almost always required when parking a moving truck on a city street.

What’s the purpose of a parking permit?

A parking permit can be one of two things.

  1. First, it can give you permission to park on the street for a certain period of time (varying from a few hours to a few days). A permit lets the city know that the truck, trailer or container is approved to be there. If you park on the street without a permit, and the city needs that stretch of street for construction, street sweeping, etc., they could ticket and tow the equipment (at your expense).  
  2. Second, a parking permit can sometimes reserve space for your moving equipment. In some cities, the permit is actually a temporary “No Parking” sign that the city places where you plan to park. These temporary signs are not available in all cities, but they are certainly convenient where available.

So now you know what a parking permit is for, but how do you go about getting a parking permit for a moving truck?

How to Get a Parking Permit for a Moving Truck or Container

As I mentioned earlier, you may not need a permit for parking on private property, but make sure to contact your homeowner’s association, landlord or building management for special permission to make sure you’re in the clear.

Each city issues parking permits differently, so the best place to start is with city offices; this may be the street department, licensing and permitting department, department of temporary signs or the police. You should be able to do a quick online search for your city’s main website by searching “city of (your city).” If you have difficulty tracking down the right department, call the main contact number and ask to be directed to the department that handles street parking permits. If you’re unable to locate phone numbers for city offices online, call the local police department’s NON-EMERGENCY phone number and ask who handles parking permits.  

In some locations you may be able to get a permit or temporary signage over the phone but in some you’ll have to physically go in to the office (which can get a little tricky on the destination end of your move). Your moving specialist can help you navigate these waters when you call.

Side note: In some locations the city requires a copy of your moving contract (with U-Pack, this is your Bill of Lading). Once your reservation is made, U-Pack will email, fax, or mail a copy of your Bill of Lading (whichever you prefer).  

Trailer and ReloCube Parking Requirements

This is information you’ll need when calling your city about parking permits:
Trailer Parking
ReloCube Parking

Prepare for Your Move

If you have questions regarding parking a trailer or ReloCube for your move, a U-Pack moving specialist can get you pointed in the right direction. Just give us a call at 800-413-4799.  

Securing parking permits is only one small part of preparing to move. If you need more information about moving long distance with U-Pack, we're happy to help! You can get an instant quote online or by calling 800-413-4799.  

Happy Moving!