PCSing to a Hawaii Military Base

Planning a PPM to Hawaii

Hawaii is famous for its culture of compassion, love, peace and mutual respect for nature and people. So when Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders have you headed to Hawaii, it’s an excellent time to embrace the “Aloha Spirit” by choosing a stress-free way to move. 

With an experienced military moving service like U-Pack®, many people have enjoyed the ease and flexibility of a Personally Procured Move (PPM) to Hawaii.

Hawaii military moving


Hawaii OCONUS moving

The Department of Defense considers Hawaii outside the contiguous United States (OCONUS), but most branches will allow a PPM for qualified service members. This is also known as a DITY or do-it-yourself move. 

U-Pack handles military PCS moves to Hawaii with our ReloCube moving containers, which offer convenient ground-level loading. Transit time is typically 9-16 business days — quicker than most full-service moving companies— so your belongings will arrive in paradise in no time! 

Travel days

Each military branch may have different PCS procedures, so it's important to coordinate with your Transportation Management Office (TMO) before making travel arrangements. They can provide your reporting date, duty station, allowed travel time and any other special instructions. 

Be sure to check if you’re eligible for leave before the move. Some branches allow service members to vacation with their families and arrange housing or school enrollment.


If you plan to live on base, start the application process when you receive PCS orders. If on-base housing isn’t available, you’ll need a plan for lodging while you wait. Possible options for temporary living are military-owned rentals, hotels or short-term leases. 

If you’d rather immerse yourself in Island culture, living in an off-base apartment or house is also an option. Finding a place to live in Hawaii can be challenging because of high costs and limited inventory. Start looking as soon as you can for the best place to call “hale” (pronounced ha-lay), which is the Hawaiian word for home. 


The government offers allowances while executing PCS orders, which can vary by rank and pay grade. Make sure to ask your TMO any financial questions before moving. 

Military personnel might qualify for these allowances since Hawaii is considered overseas: 

  • Overseas Cost of Living Allowance (COLA). This non-taxable allowance helps offset Hawaii’s higher cost of living.
  • Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA). Covers a military member’s rent and utilities when base accommodations aren’t available.

Special considerations for shipping pets, plants and vehicles

A PCS move to Hawaii requires extra planning, especially if you're bringing along a furry family member who might bark or meow with excitement about joining you in the youngest state in the U.S.  

To learn about import regulations for shipping pets, plants or vehicles and life in the state, check out U-Pack's Guide to Moving to Hawaii

Check your Hawaii PPM cost with U-Pack 

Getting a moving quote from U-Pack is easy! Request your free quote online and provide an email address so a moving consultant can prepare an estimate. Or call 844-362-5303844-594-3077 to speak to someone.  

Enter or mention the code DITY10 for an extra $100 off active-duty military moves. And don’t forget to request weight tickets if you need them for reimbursement! 

You can also use our handy DITY Move Calculator to help figure PPM expenses. Thank you for your service!  

If you have questions about using U-Pack for your PCS to “The Aloha State,” let us know in the comments. We’re happy to help!