Military Weight Tickets

Getting weight tickets for a military move

One of the biggest concerns when completing a Personally Procured Move (PPM), also known as a Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move, is getting reimbursed. While there’s other paperwork to complete, weight tickets are a vital component. If you’re using a rental truck, you have to figure out how to get them, and if you’re hiring a moving company, you have to make sure they take care of everything. Learn more about what weight tickets you need, how to get them and how U-Pack simplifies the PPM process. 

Empty moving trailer about to be weighed for military weight tickets.


What are certified weight tickets?

Each branch of service requires specific information for reimbursement, and it may change depending on the service you use. Before your move date, confirm the specifics with the Transportation Office. Typically, military weight tickets need to include:

  • The name/location of scales
  • The moving equipment identification
  • Weighing date
  • The Weight Master’s signature
  • The accurate weight of the belongings

You will have a set of weight tickets — one showing the loaded weight (vehicle with a full tank of gas, belongings, but no driver or passengers) and the other showing the empty weight (vehicle with a full tank of gas but no belongings, driver or passengers). These measurements are used to calculate the weight of your household goods by subtracting the empty weight from the loaded weight.

Obtaining certified weight tickets

If you’re doing a complete DIY move, you’ll be responsible for weighing the vehicle at an approved location and providing the information listed above. It’s important to note that not all weigh stations on the side of the interstate are certified. Find out where the nearest certified weight station is on this map from

If you’re using a self-moving service like U-Pack®, you’ll need to make sure they can provide them. U-Pack can provide certified weight tickets as long as we know that weight tickets are required before the move date. We have military specialists who will ensure you have everything you need for reimbursement. After your move, a U-Pack military specialist will email the DITY move weight tickets to you so you can submit them for reimbursement. Contact us at 844-362-5303844-594-3077 for additional copies or assistance.

Still figuring out the moving process? Learn more about everything that goes into military moving from start to finish. 

Have questions about weight tickets?

Call U-Pack at 844-362-5303844-594-3077 for more information or leave a comment below. We’re here to help!