Congratulations on finding a new place to live – it’s exciting! Whether you’re moving to off-campus housing for the first time, setting up your first apartment, or moving out of a home you’ve lived in for years, moving can be a very stressful event. Especially when you begin thinking of all of the details involved: changing addresses, phone numbers, switching utilities, packing, and the hundreds of other things that need to be addressed before, during and after the move. As moving experts, we hope our experience will help – regardless of the degree of move. We designed this guide to provide helpful resources to make your next move go as smoothly as possible.
Before the Move – Time spent preparing before them move is time well spent. This is one of the most crucial times during the moving process. It’s when you’ll plan what you want to take with you and what to leave behind, what to do with your pets, how to move with kids, and the list goes on and on. All of these take a tremendous amount of forethought and preparation. We highly recommend using a moving checklist, so that you don’t forget any important parts of the move.
- Moving Checklist – Helpful page with information on what you should do and check off before and during the move.
- How to Plan Your Move – Informative source of information on some of the items you should be concerned with before your move.
- Tips for Planning a Move – Helpful information from TLC providing tips to plan a successful move.
- Change of Address – Information from the U.S. Postal Service on how to change your address when you move.
- Moving and the IRS – Useful information from the IRS on what you need to do when you move.
- Moving Guide with Pets – Website providing information and tips on how to have a safe move with pets.
- Moving with Pets – Tips from Realtors on how to safely move with pets.
- Kids and Moving – Useful page providing guidance on how to help kids with the stress of moving.
- Moving with Kids – Information on things to consider when making the decision to move.
Packing for the Move – Ok, so you’ve done all of the important preliminary work, now comes the fun part – packing! Most of us tend to accumulate an excess amount of clothes and other belongings. Packing and moving everything would take additional time and resources, so it is important to know what you are packing and what you are getting rid of. This would be a good time to eliminate some of the unneeded items with a garage sale or donating items to a local charity. Either would help reduce the amount of boxes and time needed to pack.
- Declutter 101 – Guide to helping ending the clutter in your house and in your life.
- Causes of Clutter – Information from CNN on how to clear out the top causes of clutter around the house.
- Packing Tips – Article from Good Housekeeping on ways to make packing as painless as possible.
- Packing Tips for Moving – Easy tips and suggestions that can be followed to help making a move easy.
- Tips for a Garage Sale – Suggestions and information on how to plan a successful garage sale.
- Planning a Garage Sale – Useful information on how you can plan a garage sale.
- How to Pack Clothes for Moving – Instructions on what and how to pack for a move.
- Getting Rid of Clutter Before you Move – Informative article providing some guidelines on what you can do to rid yourself of clutter before moving.
New Location – It’s over – you’ve reached your new location and are ready to move in. Unpacking your boxes and organizing your stuff can be very time-consuming. By packing by room, and labeling the contents, you should be able to efficiently organize your new rooms. Also, when you arrive at your new location, it’s important to become familiar with your new location and what it has to offer.
- Adjusting Kids to New Surroundings – Basic suggestions on what you can do to help your kids adjust to new surroundings.
- Pets and New Homes – Informative article with information on how to help your pets adapt to a new home.
- What to Unpack First – Useful suggestions on what you should unpack first at your new house or apartment.
- Unpacking with a Plan – Tips and ideas on how you should unpack when you arrive at a new place.
- Unpacking and Organizing Tips – Information on how you can attack the process of unpacking into a new home.
- Moving and Relocation Guides – Helpful site providing information for people who are moving to new areas.
- Relocation Guide – Resources and advice providing what you need to know before moving.
We hope this guide helps you in your move, whether it is across town or across country!
Copyright © ABF U-Pack Moving, Inc.