What Do I Need to Rent a U-Haul?

Here’s what it takes

Check out the U-Haul® rental requirements below to make sure you’re able to rent a truck. If you don’t qualify (or are interested in an easier way to move), U-Pack® is a great alternative. Keep reading to learn more.

Man looking on a laptop to learn about the U-Haul rental requirements.


How old do I have to be to rent a U-Haul?

You have to be 16 years old to rent a trailer and at least 18 years old to rent a moving truck from U-Haul.

What kind of driver’s license do I need?

For most truck sizes, you  just need a valid driver’s license from:

  • One of the 50 states
  • The District of Columbia
  • A Canadian province
  • The military
  • A foreign country

The only exception is for 26-foot U-Hauls rented in Quebec, Canada, where you must have a Class 3 Driver’s License (similar to a Commercial Driver’s License, or CDL).

Do I need a credit card to rent a U-Haul?

No. While you do need a card on file to reserve online or by phone, you can reserve in person with cash. However, cash payments require a deposit — $100 for in-town rentals (or the estimated charges, whichever is greater) and $100 plus the rental rate for one-way moves. Cash payments may also require an additional form of identification, like a utility bill or check stub.

What credit or debit cards do they accept?

U-Haul accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard or Visa credit cards, or debit cards with a Visa or Mastercard logo.

Can I rent a U-Haul if I don’t have car insurance?

U-Haul doesn’t require proof of insurance, but they recommend optional damage coverage since most credit cards and auto insurance policies don’t cover trucks or trailers. If you opt-out of purchasing additional coverage, you would be financially responsible for the equipment and any damages.

What would I need for the self-service pickup option?

To use U-Haul Truck Share 24/7®, you’ll need a smartphone and a U-Haul account. You’ll also have to verify your identity with a picture that matches your driver’s license.

What should I do if I don’t meet the requirements?

If you aren’t able to rent a U-Haul, consider U-Pack. Because we handle all the driving, you don’t need a driver’s license — even for moves in Canada. And there’s not a deposit. 

U-Pack is an easier way to move long distance

Even if you meet the U-Haul requirements, there some things to consider before renting a truck.   For example, reservations aren’t guaranteed, and the price can get expensive when you add additional costs like fuel. U-Pack takes those concerns off the table. Reservations guarantee your choice of move date and equipment, and there’s no additional charge for fuel, taxes and tolls. Get a free moving quote to see how you can move with U-Pack. Call 844-362-5303844-594-3077 or fill out the form above to check rates. 


U-Haul® is a registered trademark of U-Haul International, Inc. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third-party.