Weighing the advantages and disadvantages of moving
As much as we may like for it to be, moving long distance isn’t as simple as throwing your things in the back of a car and heading out to a new place. The reality is, moving is a significant life decision that requires a lot of planning and contemplation. And whether you’re thinking of relocating for work or school, to be closer to family, or any number of other reasons, you’ll want to make sure that it’s the right choice for you and your family. To help you determine whether moving is a good decision, check out this list of moving pros and cons.
Here are some of the biggest benefits of moving:
- New life and career opportunities. Perhaps the move is work-related, or you’re just looking for a chance to seek out new friendships, experiences or other personal enrichment. Either way, moving can be a breeding ground for new experiences. Adventure awaits!
- Personal growth. Moving and change can be hard, but challenging times often allow us to grow as people. This move can be a good opportunity to set some personal health, financial and wellness goals and get involved in local civic or church groups. Expanding your horizons and learning something new about yourself and your community can be a positive thing.
- A fresh start. Yes, moving means uprooting children from their lives and leaving friends and family behind. But it also represents a chance for a fresh start. Moving could mean a new home, job, set of friends, and a change in routine. Creating a life somewhere new can be exciting and a good way to reset.
Moving might also come with some drawbacks you’ll want to consider:
- Cost. There’s no way around it. Moving costs money. When you plan for a move, you start thinking about how much things will cost and how quickly it all adds up. You’ll have to consider things like buying a new home, and other myriad expenses on top the cost of the actual move. The good news is there are multiple ways to save, and the cost of living may be lower in your new state!
- Time. From packing up your belongings to finding a new house, job and routine, moving can take a lot of time and effort. But with some careful planning, the work can be easily managed. And if the move is right for you, it’ll all be worth it in the end!
- Missing family and friends. It can be tough to move away from loved ones, especially if you’re going to a place where you don’t know anyone. But don’t worry! If you’re having trouble saying goodbye to friends or family back home, you can always stay in touch, go back to visit or encourage your loved ones to come see you at the new place!
What’s on your list of moving pros or cons?
Hopefully, this information will help as you begin making your own list of moving pros and cons. If you’ve already started and thought of something that we’ve missed, please leave a comment below! We’d love to hear from you!
More articles you might like...