Shipping Household Goods to Alaska
Shipping to Alaska
Getting your belongings to Alaska can be a bit more complicated than a state-to-state move in the lower 48. Because of the distance and time involved, pre-planning and coordination are extra important. There are several ways to relocate to The Last Frontier, but some may cost more than you expect or take longer than you want. Take a look at how U-Pack® moves household goods to Alaska, and how it compares to other shipping options.
Just getting started? Check out this comprehensive guide on moving to Alaska. It includes information about life in the state, travel and FAQs.
How to ship household goods to Alaska with U-Pack
U-Pack makes shipping your belongings to Alaska easy, with options to fit every size home. Here are the basics of how it works:
- We deliver an ocean container, moving trailer or ReloCube container to your home
- You have up to three business days to load (in most locations)
- We drive your shipment to Tacoma, WA, where it sets sail to Anchorage
- We deliver to your new location, and you have up to three business days to unload (or one day if you unload at our service center)
More about the shipping equipment
- Ocean container. The 40 ft. ocean container is ideal for shipping large homes (4+ bedrooms). With this option, you pay by the container. Ocean containers are available for door-to-door service in many areas of Alaska.
- Moving trailer. This is one of the most popular types of equipment used to transport household goods to Alaska. It’s 28-feet long, and you only pay for the space you use (down to a 5 ft. minimum). That makes it ideal for any size shipment. Trailers are available for door-to-door shipping to most locations in Alaska.
- ReloCube containers. This is a great solution for small moves. The metal container is 6’ x 7’ x 8’ (external dimensions), and sits flat on the ground for easy loading and unloading. You can reserve as many as you’d like and only pay for the ones you fill. While door delivery in Alaska isn’t available with ReloCubes, you can load/unload at the service centers conveniently located in Anchorage and Juneau.
Compare to other Alaska moving options
As you see, U-Pack takes care of the transportation, so you can travel however you want — by boat, plane or car. Other benefits include fast transit times, affordable pricing and customizable options.
How long does it take?
A common question for Alaska moves is “how long will it take you to get there?” Great question considering it’s a long way from most points in the lower 48.
U-Pack can get your shipment to Alaska faster than most other Alaska shipping companies. Because shipments sail from Tacoma twice per week, U-Pack takes just 8-15 business days on average from origin to destination. When you compare to full-service movers, you may see transit times up to two weeks faster with U-Pack (or more in some cases). That’s a big deal if you hope to get moved in and settled quickly.
Wondering how long your move to Alaska will take? Get a free quote to see the estimated shipping time and price.
How do prices compare?
Though truck rental has a reputation of being the cheap way to move, many find that U-Pack is a more affordable (and convenient) alternative — particularly because of the driving distance to Alaska. Factor in the cost of rental truck fuel, and the price goes up significantly. Just as an example, if you drive a rental truck from Denver, CO to Anchorage, AK, you can expect to pay around $1,303 just for fuel (according to the rental truck fuel calculator).
How can I customize my move?
You can store your belongings inside the equipment at the service center closest to your origin or at our service center in Tacoma. Loading or unloading help is also available, if needed. Call 800-413-4799 for more information on adding storage or labor to your move.
More Alaska shipping-related information
There are a few things that fall outside of the household goods category that people often need to ship to Alaska. The three most common are: vehicles, firearms and ammunition.
- Your car: While U-Pack ships lawn mowers, motorcycles and ATVs, we’re unable to ship cars. We often refer customers to Mr. Car Shipper® for auto transport — call 877-421-1284 for a quote.
- Firearms and ammo: Guns and ammunition are included on the U-Pack Do Not Ship List, so they cannot be packed with your household goods. We recommend talking to your local gun shop, getting a parcel shipper to move just your firearms, or if you’re flying to Alaska, checking with the TSA on their rules for transporting firearms.
Have more Alaska shipping questions?
Call 800-413-4799 to speak with a knowledgeable moving consultant, or leave a comment below — we’re here to help.