Resources for Military Families
Making a military move with your family
Whether for a new unit assignment, a promotion or to complete a tour of duty, there are a number of reasons why military families move. In fact, statistics show that the average military family moves every two to three years, which accounts to about three times more often than that of a typical civilian family.
Although moving is a way of life for military servicepeople, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders can still be emotional for everyone involved. Use this guide to find resources that can help your family make a successful transition.
Resource for planning a move
If you’re looking for help planning your military move or understanding how a PCS move works, check out our comprehensive guide on military moving. It includes a PCS checklist and other helpful military moving resources.
Resources for helping children adjust
Moves can be hard on everyone, especially children. Whether you’re moving during the school year or over the summer, the following resources can make the process smoother for your kids:
- Preparing Your Kids for the Move: Guide to helping your kids through the moving process.
- Relocation Tips for Military School Children: List of tips to help military kids cope with moving.
- Sesame Street for Military Families: An online resource for children of deployed service members that features colorful, downloadable documents, videos, helpful tips and more.
- Preparing for deployment: Information on how to prepare children for deployment.
There are a number of organizations that can help your family with financial questions, emotional counseling or other phases of a move or deployment. Learn more with these resources:
- Family Readiness System: Deployed servicepeople and their families can find information on a number of topics from emergency family assistance to help with managing finances.
- Non-medical Counseling: A confidential guidance resource for servicepeople and loved ones with issues related to relocation.
- Military spouse scholarships. Assistance for schooling, licensing or loan forgiveness.
Get help with your military move
Moving can be challenging on many levels, but these resources can help ease the process. If you’ve still got questions, want to learn more about military moving options or how to complete a PCS move with U-Pack®, give us a call at 877-453-7274 or leave us a comment below.