One-Way Van Rental
Finding a one-way cargo van
If you’re moving from a small apartment or just a few things from a larger home, you may be considering one-way cargo van rental since they’re smaller and easier to drive than a large moving truck. And you might think they would be more affordable as well. However, finding one to rent for a long-distance move may be difficult. Take a look at the offerings for one-way cargo vans, and then take a look at another simple way to move a small amount.
Who offers cargo van rental one way?
Here’s what you’ll find when looking at the four major truck rental companies:
- U-Haul® cargo vans are for local rental only.
- Ryder® offers round-trip rental only (no one-way van options).
- Budget® lists cargo vans on their website, but they’re only in limited markets.
- Penske® offers cargo vans, but they’re only in limited markets.
So while they do exist, they can be difficult to find. And once you get a cargo van, you still have to drive it across the country to your new home, which can be tough. Even if the vehicle has rear windows, a fully loaded cargo area can make it difficult to see behind you. But there are ways to move without having to drive.
Alternatives to one-way cargo vans
For a small amount of stuff, there are other ways to get everything to your new home besides a moving van rental: getting a small rental truck or using an alternative service like U-Pack®.
Want to go a different route? U-Pack is a “you pack, we drive” service with minimum space requirements that are similar to cargo van capacity. Anything you would load into a van rental will fit into U-Pack equipment! Here’s how the space compares:
- The inside capacity of a U-Haul 9' cargo van is 245 cubic feet.
- A U-Pack ReloCube is 6’ x 7’ x 8’ and has a loading capacity of approximately 305 cubic feet.
- Our moving trailers are (28’ x 8’ x 9’), however, you can use as little as 5 linear feet inside. So, the minimum is approximately 360 cubic feet.
U-Pack frees you up to travel however you want instead of being behind the wheel of the van the entire time. Sound like a good option? Get a free moving quote online or by calling 800-417-4399.
Have questions about renting vans for moving?
Leave us a comment below! If you would like to compare U-Pack to your moving quote, we can also help you check rates.
U-Haul® is a registered trademark of U-Haul International, Inc. Budget® is a registered trademark of Budget Truck Rental, LLC. Penske® is a registered trademark of Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P. Ryder® is a registered trademark of Ryder System Inc. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third-party.