Moving box comparison: choosing the right boxes for your move
How to select the boxes you need
The lead-up to a move is a busy, hectic time. There are tons of important things to do and big decisions you have to make. But choosing the right boxes doesn’t have to be one of the complicated ones. Let us walk you through some moving box options. We’ll provide details about sizes and packing materials to help you decide what you’ll need. Let’s get started!
Standard box sizes
Moving boxes are must-have items when planning a move across the country. They’re designed to keep household goods safe while in transit. The perfect box size depends on the shape, dimensions and weight of the item(s) you’re packing. Here are some standard sizes for moving boxes:
- Small — Small boxes measure 16” x 10” x 10”. These boxes are ideal for packing things like books, CDs and DVDs, and small appliances.
- Medium — Medium boxes measure 18” x 14” x 12” and are great for things like towels, DVDs and decorative items.
- Large — Large boxes measure 20” x 20” x 15”. They hold larger items like kitchen appliances, bedding, drapes, and smaller pillows.
- Extra-large — Extra-large boxes measure 23” x 23” x 16”. They hold those large, lighter items like comforters, pillows and sports equipment.
Other boxing options
Though most things in your home can fit into a standard moving box, some require a more unique fit. U-Pack offers a variety of moving box options to meet every need. These include:
- Wardrobe boxes — These are designed for hanging clothes and come with a rod across the top for that purpose. Shoes, belts and purses can fit in the bottom. They hold the clothing that would fit into two linear feet of closet space.
- Kitchen boxes — These come with partitions that can be customized to hold glasses, dishes and China. Wrap items in bubble wrap or packing paper, and use the kitchen box inserts to add extra protection.
- Picture boxes — These are designed to package artwork and mirrors. They come in medium and large sizes and are assembled in two parts so that you can customize them to fit virtually any size wall-hanging.
- TV boxes — These are designed for heavy-duty storage to protect flat-screen TVs. They are made of multiple pieces, so you can create the right size to fit your TV, and they accommodate televisions sizes 32-70”.
- Lamp boxes — They’re designed to protect tall or uniquely shaped items like lamps while in transit. These boxes can accommodate lamps up to 48” in height.
- Office/file boxes — They keep your important documents safe while in transit. These boxes are double-walled to handle heavy files and are easy to assemble!
Moving kit options
If you don’t want to hassle with figuring out what all you need, let U-Pack choose your boxes for you! We’ve designed moving kits for a variety of different-sized homes (from studio apartments to 6+ bedroom homes) that can fit your needs. Here are the following types of moving kits U-Pack offers:
- Economy kits — They include an assortment of box sizes, packing tape and markers.
- Basic kits — They include a variety of boxes, basic packing supplies like packing tape and dispenser, Bubble Wrap®, and markets.
- Enhanced kits — They include boxes in a variety of sizes, SmartMove tape, packing tape and dispenser, Bubble Wrap, packing paper and markers.
- Wardrobe kits — They includes a variety of box sizes (including wardrobe boxes), packing tape and dispenser, Bubble Wrap, packing paper and markers.
Have other questions about the types of moving boxes you need for your move? Leave us a comment below, and we’ll be happy to help!