How to pack medicines and toiletries
Jun 15, 2015
How to pack medications and toiletries
Toiletries and medicines are essential bathroom necessities you’ll need not only after you move long distance, but during your move, too. We’ll show you which items to take with you, and which items can go in the truck. Before you pack, gather your supplies.
- A moving box
- A marker
- Packing paper
- Zip-top bags
Once you have your supplies, you’re ready to start packing.
Watch our helpful video, or follow the directions below.
Packing your toiletries and medications
1. Take essential and “Do Not Ship” items with you.
Essential items include items like your daily medications pill box, shampoos, razors, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc.
Do Not Ship items include aerosols (e.g. hairsprays and deodorants), toiletries that contain alcohol (e.g. astringent and mouthwash), and anything flammable (e.g. nail polish and remover). Consider taking these items with you, or using them up before you move. You can see the complete Do Not Ship List here.
2. Add cushion. Put crushed packing paper in the bottom of the box for extra cushion.
3. Pack liquids and small toiletries into zip-top bags. It’ll help keep the liquids from spilling out and making a mess, and keep small items together so they don’t get lost.
4. Put all other medications directly into the box. It’s important to place all items into the box upright so nothing spills out.
5. Add more packing paper. Once all the items are in the box, add more crushed packing paper to ensure a snug fit.
6. Close the box. Then, label it and mark it with the contents inside.
Helpful tips for packing medications and toiletries
- Pack heavier items first and pack lighter items on top
- Take medicines that are heat or cold-sensitive with you
What about makeup? How do I pack that?
Follow our helpful guide on how to pack makeup (instructional video included).
Have packing questions?
If you have a question about how to pack a certain item, we’re here to help – just comment below.
More articles you might like...