What to know about packing DVDs, CDs and video games for moving
While most forms of entertainment have shifted toward digital formats, there are still plenty of people who own physical copies of their favorite movies, TV shows, music and video games. If you’re moving, this post will help you properly pack your entertainment collection.
These are the supplies you’ll need:
- Moving boxes (quantity depends on the size of your collection)
- Packing paper
- Packing tape
- A marker
Watch this video for helpful instructions:
How to pack your movies, music and video games
- Sort into stacks. Separate your cases into stacks to make them easy to grab and put into the box.
- Line box with packing paper. Fold a few sheets of packing paper in half twice and place into the box. It’ll add extra protection.
- Place items into box spine-up. We recommend packing spine-up to fit more items into the box. Pack larger-sized items (like DVDs and video games) first and smaller-sized items (like CDs) last to maximize space within the box. If there are any gaps within the first layer of items, fill with crushed packing paper.
- Fill gaps with crushed packing paper. When the box is full, fill gaps with crushed packing paper for a snug fit.
- Add another layer. If you have more items to add to the box, first add a folded sheet of packing paper to separate the layers, then continue adding items to the box spine-up. Add additional packing paper to fill in the gaps.
- Close, tape and mark the box. Mark the box with the contents inside and “fragile.” Because of their fragility, it’s best to pack these items last in the moving truck with no other boxes on top.
I don’t have the disc case. Now what?
If you have loose DVDs, CDs or video games (or if you’re looking to save some space), consider putting them into a case with sleeves or purchasing separate cases for each item. If you choose a case with sleeves, place it into the box standing up, not lying flat (just like a book or binder). If you choose individual cases for each item, pack them into the box spine-up.
Other packing tips
If you have questions about packing discs, or you need tips on how to pack other household items, leave a comment below. And, if you like the idea of moving across the country without driving a rental truck, call U-Pack® at 844-362-5303844-594-3077 or get a free moving quote online.
More articles you might like...