Step-by-step instructions for moving lamps
Wide shades and tall bases can make lamps challenging to pack for a move. With U-Pack, our customers pack themselves, so we created a guide to help you pack your lights correctly, ensuring they arrive in great condition.
Watch this video for a quick overview of the process, then get the detailed steps below:
How to pack tabletop and floor lamps for moving
Depending on the size of your lamp, pack it in a regular moving box or a specialty lamp box:
- Gather supplies: box to fit the lamp base, packing paper, paper padding or Bubble Wrap®, tape, marker and sheet of foam.
- Remove parts from the lamp base. Unscrew any top decorative pieces (the finial and shade riser), set the shade aside, lift off the U-shaped shade holder (the harp), and take out the light bulb.
- Cover the plug. Protect the prongs on the cord with foam and gather the cord into a bundle.
- Wrap the base. Use paper padding (or Bubble Wrap®, if the base is glass or ceramic) to fully wrap the lamp base, burrito style.
- Wrap the extra pieces in packing paper. Fold the paper around the finial, harp and any other lamp parts and tape to secure.
- Place the lamp and parts in a moving box. Line the box with packing paper, place the lamp base upright inside, set the wrapped-up components next to it, then fill any extra space with crumpled packing paper.
- Tape and label the box. Secure it with plenty of packing tape, then write “Fragile” on the box.
How to pack lamp shades
Pack lamp shades separately from the base of the light.
- Gather supplies: moving box big enough to hold the shade, packing paper, tape and a marker.
- Prepare the box. Line the box with sheets of packing paper to add a layer of cushion to the bottom of the container.
- Nest shades inside. Start with the biggest shade and place it top down into the box. If you have more than one shade, nest them inside each other with a couple of layers of packing paper in between.
- Fill in any gaps. Using crumpled packing paper, fill any open spaces in the box to ensure a snug fit.
- Tape and label the box. Secure the box with tape and write “Fragile” on it, so you don’t stack anything heavy on top of the box to avoid crushing the shades.
Have other things to pack?
Chances are you’re moving more than just lamps. If you’re packing up other household goods for a move, check out our other how-to packing guides. We’ve got instructions for everything from aquariums to washers. Let us know if you have any questions. We’re happy to help!
More articles you might like...