Bekins® Van Lines Comparison
How does Bekins® Van Lines® compare to U-Pack®?
When comparing long-distance moving companies, you might wonder how companies like Bekins® Van Lines and U-Pack® differ. While both specialize in household moving, there are some big differences in the service and price. Bekins is a full service mover, and U-Pack is an affordable full-service alternative. Depending on your needs and budget, one option may be more appealing than the other. Let’s take a look at how Bekins works, and then check out U-Pack as an alternative.
Bekins moving service
Bekins handles loading, unloading and transportation. In most cases, they can also pack, unpack, crate and store goods. They work with local agents, so customers may deal with a different crew during each end of the move.
Bekins offers both short- and long-term storage options at a variety of locations, depending on what’s needed. If you use storage, they unload your belongings (cartons) and store them at a warehouse until you’re ready for delivery. Once delivery is scheduled, they’ll load them back onto a moving truck and bring to your new home.
Pricing and quotes
Like most full-service movers, an in-home estimate is required for a more accurate moving cost. The company does, however, offer a free “ballpark estimate” online that can give you an instant, estimated price for your move.
When you get a quote online, you’re presented a low-end or high-end estimate to get a better idea of the price range. From there, the company will send a corresponding email to set up the in-home survey that gives you a more accurate cost.
The company provides four types of in-home moving estimates:
- Non-binding. This is an approximate price based on the estimated weight of the shipment. The actual cost depends on the final weight of the items after packing and loading.
- Firm-binding. This is a specific price that doesn’t change if the actual weight is different. This price can increase if you add items or services not discussed during the estimate.
- Option-binding. The weight of the items affects the price. It can reduce if the actual weight is lower than estimated (also known as a “not-to-exceed estimate”). The price can increase if you add items or services not discussed during the estimate.
- Ballpark. This is a range of prices depending on the size of your home and the services needed. Final costs depend on shipment weight.
In addition to the shipment’s weight and distance, these estimates also include whether there is a need for other services like packing, unpacking, appliance preparation, custom crating and storage.
An alternative to Bekins
U-Pack is traditionally a self-moving service, where you do the loading and unloading, and U-Pack does the driving. It’s a great way to save money if you can do some of the work on your own. But, if you’re looking for a full-service mover because you need someone to do the heavy lifting, U-Pack is still an option! We’ll refer you to pre-screened local movers for the help you need. We’ll even set it all up for you! U-Pack doesn’t require upfront payment. You don’t pay anything until you’ve loaded and know how much space you use.
Storage is easy with U-Pack, too. Simply pack your belongings into the ReloCube or moving trailer, and we’ll store the equipment at a nearby service center until you’re ready for delivery. We don’t unload your belongings — they stay put until you’re ready to unload at your new home. Less touches means less chance for damage.
Getting a U-Pack quote — no in-home estimate required
All you need for an online U-Pack quote is to enter a few details about your move into our free online quote tool. You can choose the equipment you need (toggle between the ReloCube container and the moving trailer to see the pricing) and add loading or unloading help. If you need a lot of help (to make it more comparable to a Bekins move), add a full crew. Or to save money, add a smaller crew for a couple hours to get help just with the big things. You can also call 800-413-4799 for an instant quote. When you’re ready to book your move, you can do it online or by phone — it’s easy!
Compare pricing with a sample move
Every move is different, but looking at a sample move is an excellent way to get a general idea of how Bekins and U-Pack prices may compare. Say you got quotes for moving a two-bedroom home from Phoenix, AZ, to Dayton, OH. This was what our quote looked like:
- Bekins estimated a full-service move from Phoenix to Dayton (loading, unloading and transportation) at between $5,634.51 and $7,375.78.
- U-Pack estimated that 13 linear feet of space in a moving trailer would cost $1,937. When we added two movers for four hours, the cost was $2,634. A comparable move for almost half the price!
Have questions about how U-Pack compares to Bekins?
Have more questions about Bekins or how U-Pack compares to other full-service moving companies? Leave a comment below or give us a call!
Bekins Van Lines is a registered trademark of Bekins Van Lines, Inc. Use of third-party trademarks or registered trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by such third party.