Moving from Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles, CA
Moving from Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles, CA
Whether you’re in D.C. or L.A., there’s always something to keep daily life interesting, but in this case it’s California that comes out on top! Los Angeles is California’s most populous city, serving the second-largest metropolitan area in the country with 18 million people between five counties and all walks of life. Being the boomtown that it is, L.A. is an important center of media, culture, international trade and business, but what forms the base of its status is its fame in being the world’s television, motion picture and recording industry center. The city is comprised of 13 districts, most notably Downtown LA, Wilshire and the San Fernando Valley, and in turn is huge, sprawling and highly diverse, with half of its population born outside of the country and the third largest Mexican population in the world. It’s a global city; it’s the City of Angels, it’s Hollywood and Angelenos and soon, Los Angeles will be your new home!
The voyage from Washington to Los Angeles
- It’s a long road ahead, 2,669 miles to be exact! That’s 39 hours on the road alone, not including the time it takes to regroup overnight. Luckily, you’re in for a great road trip!
- Take this trip a little at a time and consider stopping along the way, perhaps in Roanoke, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque or Flagstaff!
- Stop by Roanoke’s O. Winston Link Museum or the Roanoke Star, check out Knoxville’s Sunsphere or Knoxville Museum of Art & don’t miss Nashville’s replica of the Parthenon!
- Memphis is home to Graceland and Beale Street, Little Rock has Pinnacle Mountain Park & the William J. Clinton Presidential Center, and OKC hosts Frontier City & White Water Bay!
- Stop by Amarillo for Cadillac Ranch or Wonderland Park, Albuquerque for the Petroglyph Monument or Sandia Peak Tramway & Flagstaff for Coconino Nat’l Forest or Grand Falls!
- If you’re one who prefers looking down from above, a five-hour and 15-minute flight from $572 will suit you best! All you have to do is pack and load your things, board the plane & let U-Pack® do the rest!
Weather for Los Angeles
- Prepare yourself for SoCal weather; it’s pretty much perfect, especially compared to D.C.’s humid subtropical climate! With a Subtropical-Mediterranean climate, you’re beach-ready!
- Summers in LA are sunny and dry, with an average high of only 83.1 F for July & only 35 days out of the year with measurable precipitation, meaning summer’s left dry!
- Average lows for LA winters stay near 47.5 F for December, and while snow is rare in the city basin, small amounts do fall near the section of mountains within the city limits!
Traversable Los Angeles
- LA is notorious for its traffic, especially on the freeways (i.e. Carmageddon). The problem remains that your vehicle is simply the best way to get around—keep the radio turned on!
- Always have a backup plan (or two) when traveling long distances in LA, for the legendary traffic jams will almost always be against you. Be defensive; motorcyclists can be ruthless!
- While public transportation in LA leaves much to be desired, it’s still effective. Metro buses serve car-less Angelenos, and the city’s Metro Rail operates eight subway/elevated lines!
Educational Los Angeles
- Nearly the whole of Los Angeles, as well as many surrounding communities, are served by the Los Angeles Unified School District’s 162 Magnet schools with over 800,000 students!
- Three public universities—California State, Los Angeles, California State, Northridge and UCLA—operate in LA along with nearly 30 other private ones, like Syracuse University!
- 72 public libraries in Los Angeles are operated by the Los Angeles Public Library System, including downtown’s Los Angeles Central Library & branches for unincorporated enclaves!
Restaurants and attractions in Los Angeles
- El Cholo oozes fun with “LA Original” Green Corn Tamales, Primitivo channels cool Venice vibes thru tapas & Bacon-Wrapped Dates, & Versailles satisfies with heavenly Cuban fare!
- Enjoy old-school Italian & crooning waiters at Miceli’s, a kitschy Marina del Rey ambiance and endless garlic knots at C & O Trattoria, & exquisitely charred pizzas at the boîte Sotto!
- Sushi Roku is innovative with a Baked Lobster Roll, Yamashiro is tranquilly nestled into the Hollywood Hills with Cal-Asian cuisine, & Wokcano is reliable and cool for upscale Chinese!
- In-N-Out is a fast-food standard & staple for burgers, Elf Café is a vegetarian’s safe haven, Original Tommy’s is LA’s last hope for chili burgers, & Rose Café is a perfect brunch spot!
- LA is known for its shopping streets, the most notable venues including Larchmont Blvd, Melrose Avenue, Broadway, Alvarado Blvd, The Grove, Rodeo Drive & many, many more!
- Explore downtown’s historic Olvera Street, the renowned Getty Center, California Science Center, Griffith Park in Northwest LA, the Hollywood Walk of Fame & Mulholland Drive!
- Find LA’s most famous beaches on the West Side, including Venice Beach & its Boardwalk and Muscle Beach, Santa Monica’s pier & park, and the scenic Malibu and Pacific Palisades!
- Watch the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium in Elysian Park, the Lakers and the Clippers at the Staples Center in Downtown, as well as the Sparks & Kings, and the Galaxy at Stubhub!
You’re almost there! Start moving from Washington to Los Angeles, “City of Angels,” today!
Looking for a way to move? U-Pack is the ideal cross country moving option. Explore our coverage area, and then get a free moving quote to learn more.