Moving from St. Louis, MO to Orlando, FL
From the Gateway to the West to The City Beautiful
Orlando is home to seven of the world’s top theme parks — dominated by Universal and Walt Disney World — and is one of the most popular vacation spots in the U.S. More than 68 million travelers come through this Central Florida city each year. But what’s it like to live there? If you’re relocating to Orlando from St. Louis, find out how the two compare, then learn about an easy, affordable moving option.
Orlando at a Glance
Orlando residents are a culturally diverse group of more than 2 million. Despite Florida’s reputation as a destination for retirees, more than two-thirds of Orlando’s residents are of working age.
Transplants from St. Louis will immediately notice the differences in weather. While Missouri experiences all four seasons and is prone to extreme weather, Orlando is warm and humid year-round (averaging 62-82 degrees). Orlando also gets a bit more rain than St. Louis, especially in the summer.
Beyond the Theme Parks
Orlando’s theme parks receive most of the attention (and residents get a reduced rate!), but there’s plenty of other entertainment options if you’re looking for something different. Here are a few things worth checking out:
- Ride the Orlando Eye, the largest Ferris wheel on the East Coast.
- Visit the relaxing 440-acre Tibet-Butler Nature Preserve to escape the crowds and find some shade.
- For a culturally immersive meal and entertainment experience, check out Raglan Road Irish Pub at Downtown Disney.
- Take a scenic boat tour through the Winter Park Chain of Lakes.
- Check out Universal City Walk for a lively assortment of themed restaurants, shops, bars, and nightclubs.
- Drop by the Morse Museum of American Art, which houses the world’s most comprehensive collection of the works of Louis Comfort Tiffany.
- Catch a game with the NBA’s Orlando Magic or the Orlando City SC of Major League Soccer.
Cost of living
St. Louis residents who are used to a lower cost of living will find Orlando to be a bit pricier. Florida has no state income tax, which draws many to the Orlando area, but the median home price is still nearly $214,000. Monthly rent in Orlando averages more than $1,000.
While health care and manufacturing provide most of the employment in St. Louis, tourism drives the economy in Orlando. Top employers include the Walt Disney World Resort, JetBlue, the Golf Channel and the University of Central Florida. Electronic Arts creates some of the world’s best-selling video games in Orlando, including the Madden NFL series.
As is the case in St. Louis, most Orlando residents drive because the city is so spread out. However, there is a regional bus transit system (Lynx) and a commuter rail system, SunRail, that opened in 2014 and will eventually extend south to double its current distance.
Move with U-Pack
Excited about your move from St. Louis to Orlando? Wondering how to handle it? Make it more efficient and affordable with U-Pack! As long-distance moving specialists, we provide quick, easy service to all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico. Get a free moving quote online, or call us at 844-362-5303844-594-3077 to help plan your run to the sun!