Moving from Oakland, CA to Denver, CO
Relocating to Denver from Oakland
Planning a move from Oakland to Denver? You’re to miss your neighborhood, the temperate Mediterranean climate and all your favorite outdoor activities, but there’s a lot to love about Denver, too! With picturesque mountain views, nice weather and endless business opportunities, Denver is a great place to live and work. Read on to learn more about why moving from Oakland to Denver is a great thing for you and your family.
Getting to know Denver
Here’s some quick need-to-know facts about your new city:
Coming from Oakland, you’re no doubt used to the hustle and bustle of a big city, but while more than 390,000 people call Oakland home, when you move to Denver you’ll adjust to life in a much more populated area. Denver is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., thanks in part to the city’s growth in real estate and business development. More than 600,000 people live within the Denver city limits, but the Denver metro area has a population of more than 3 million. It is the 16th most populated metro area in the country.
You may be dazzled by the scenic views Denver has to offer, but you’ll also fall in love with the weather in the city, too. The Mile High City is located near the Rocky Mountains and has an elevation of 5,280 feet — which means you’ll need to adjust to the altitude. And while there are some distinct differences in temperature and weather patterns throughout the year than you’re used to, overall Denver weather is pretty mild. Here’s some basic points about the Denver weather:
- The city gets a lot of sun, with an average of 245 days (compared to the 259 days in Oakland)
- Average summer highs are about 90 degrees (compared to the mid-60s you see in Oakland)
- Winters are cold with a lot of snow, with the city seeing about 57 inches a year
- There is very little precipitation, with Denver seeing 17 inches of rain a year (compared to the average 27-inches in Oakland)
Much like in Oakland, Denver’s economy is reliant on the transportation, logistics and warehousing industry. Denver’s location and robust transportation system have made it a natural location to store and distribute goods to the western and southwestern states. Other popular industries in Denver include manufacturing, national defense, food and agriculture and tourism.
Cost of living difference
Life in Denver is cheaper than it is in Oakland! The biggest difference in cost of living between the two cities is the median home cost. In Denver, you can buy a home for about $421,900, as compared to about $758,000 in Oakland — that’s a difference of $336,900! Living in Denver, you’ll also see a savings on things like health care, groceries, housing and miscellaneous expenses, which leaves you more money to spend on fun things!
Things to do
If you enjoyed sports, kid-friendly activities or outdoor fun back in Oakland, you’ll love it in Denver. Here’s some top favorites:
- See a game. Denver has teams that compete in the five major American sports. Whether you’re into hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer or football, Denver has a team for you to cheer on!
- Get outdoors. Denver is home to nearly 20,000 acres of parks, which is perfect if your family are outdoorsy people. Take a hike, go camping, or go on a bike ride in one of your new city’s favorite park. You’re sure to find a spot you’ll fall in love with!
- See a concert at Red Rocks. Denver does outdoor concerts right at the Red Rock Amphitheatre. This concert venue is located at Red Rocks Park, about 10 miles west of Denver, and offers scenic, breathtaking views of the mountainous skyline! But concerts are only part of what Red Rocks offers! You can also go fossil hunting, take a yoga class, or go for a hike in the park!
Move to Denver with U-Pack®
Need an affordable alternative to full-service moving? Consider U-Pack. Our “you pack, we drive” method means you pack and load, but we’ll drive your belongings for you. This way, you can drive or fly from Oakland to Denver without the hassle of messing with a moving truck. And with service centers in or near both locations, transit times are fast. See how much your move will cost by getting a free online quote or calling 844-362-5303844-594-3077.