Highlights on moving to Charleston, WV!
Charleston is the capital of West Virginia and the largest city in the state. Located in Kanawha County, Charleston is known for being the home of hospitality and as being the most northern city of the South and the most southern city of the North. If moving to Charleston is in your plans, you may be interested to know that it has a population of 51,400 and is at the meeting of the Kanawha and Elk Rivers.
Moving to Charleston – What to expect
- The climate in Charleston. Charleston enjoys 4 distinct seasons with hot and humid summers and cool winters. Summer temperatures hover around 90 degrees with July being the warmest month. Winter temperatures tend to be in the mid 30’s with little snowfall. May, June, and July are the wettest months each getting around 5 inches of rain.
- Getting around in Charleston. Kanawha Valley Regional Transportation Authority offers area residents local fixed route bus service. These services are available seven days a week with the earliest routes beginning at 4:20am and continuing service until 12:30am. Complimentary paratransit service is also provided during these times.
- Getting an education in Charleston. Colleges in the vicinity of Charleston include: University of Charleston, West Virginia University, Folletts College, and Mountain State University all offering a variety of degree options to meet your higher education needs. Kanawha County Schools serve the city’s public school needs for grades K-12.
- Playing in Charleston. Charleston offers a plethora of entertainment options ranging from skiing, whitewater rafting, golfing, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, boating and more all within a short distance. For skiing, snowboarding, and tubing you need to check out Winterplace Ski Resort. Rafting adventures can be experienced at Wildwater Expeditions and Rivermen Whitewater. Cato Park offers a nine-hole golf course as well as swimming pool, walking trail, soccer fields and picnic areas. Other attractions in the area include: West Virginia State Museum, Cultural Center, Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences, and Heritage Towers.
- Dining & Shopping in Charleston. When it comes time to dine Charleston has something to please everybody’s taste! Soho’s Italian Restaurant is a must try! Soho features unique and tantalizing Italian options complete with outdoor dining, we’re sure you’ll love it! Another local favorite, Bridge Road Bistro, is located in the South Hills neighborhood has been recognized for its delectable cuisine and even earned the Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence. When it’s time to do a little shopping you’ll definitely want to stop by Charleston Town Center Mall. Anchored by Macy’s, JC Penney, and Sears, Charleston Town Center Mall is a one stop location for all your shopping needs. They also offer over 130 specialty stores and boutiques as well as several dining options among their 3 levels.
Moving to Charleston, West Virginia?
U-Pack: Nationwide Moving Company
7 Mcjunkin Road
Nitro, WV 25143
If we are not able to provide door-to-door delivery to your city near Nitro, WV, you can save money by loading or unloading at the service center conveniently located in Nitro, WV. If you have questions about serviceability to your location, please call us at 800-240-7422, and a U-Pack Moving Consultant will gladly help.
|Upcoming Holidays Observed:
|Service may be curtailed. Contact local service center for details.