Highlights on moving to Westland, MI!
If moving to Westland is in your plans, you’ll be moving into the downriver section of Metropolitan Detroit – just 20 minutes away from Detroit, in Wayne County. With a population of about 84,000, Westland is nicknamed “An All American City.” Home prices in here average around $113,300 and the cost of living is 10.1% less than the U.S. average, making Westland a great place to live! The family-friendly environment makes for comfortable neighborhoods, and outstanding recreational opportunities.
Your move to Westland will also put you near many area attractions: The Melvin G. Bailey Recreation Center, Westland Skate Park, The Concrete Jungle, New Hawthorne Valley Golf Course, Westland Municipal Golf Course, and Westland Historical Museum. Nearby Detroit offers a plethora of entertainment options such as: MGM Grand Detroit Casino, Motown Museum, Detroit Science Center, Fox Theater and Greektown Casino.
Moving to Westland – What to expect
- The climate in Westland. Westland averages 183 sunny days a year with average July high temperatures around 83 degrees. You are definitely going to need heavy coats and gloves when winter hits! Westland winters are filled with cold temperatures as low as 16 degrees in January and an average yearly snowfall of 39 inches.
- Getting around in Westland. SMART Bus is southeast Michigan’s only regional bus system. SMART operates 275 fixed route buses on 54 routes, 22 hours a day/7 days a week. SMART provides more than 12 million rides annually and is committed to providing quality bus service to area residents.
- Getting an education in Westland. Degrees and certificate programs are available from several colleges in the Westland area such as Wayne County Community College, Davenport University and University of Michigan Dearborn. Other colleges in the vicinity of Westland include: Baker College, Everest Institute, Henry Ford Community College, Detroit Business Institute, Sanford-Brown College, Madonna University and Wayne State University. Wayne-Westland School District serves the city’s K-12 students and has been recognized as one of the best schools in Michigan!
- Eating in Westland. Westland offers a variety of restaurant choices ranging from American to Mexican and Southwest fare. Famous Dave’s BBQ is a favorite among residents featuring slow smoked barbecue and award winning ribs! Beaver Creek Tackle & Beer is another local favorite serving a menu full of wild game, free range meats and more! Other local favorites include: Ashley’s Beer & Grill, Angelo Brother’s Ristorante, Alexander The Great, Benito’s Pizza and Golden Chopsticks.
- Shopping in Westland. Shopping in Westland is an experience in itself! Conveniently located Westland Center is a shopping mall that attracts millions of shoppers annually. Anchored by Macy’s, JC Penney, Kohl’s and Sears and over 60 other specialty stores you are bound to find what you’re looking for.
Moving to Westland, Michigan – New Resident Links
City WebsiteThe service center for Westland, MI is located in Romulus, MI.
Chamber of Commerce
Map of Westland
Information about Westland, MI