Moving to Hialeah, FL?
With a population well over 220,000 Hialeah, FL is one of the largest suburban centers in the United States. It’s also a suburb with an extremely dense population (more than 10,000 per square mile) that’s more reminiscent of inner city neighborhoods. The Seminole Indian word “Hialeah” translates to “Pretty Prairie,” and gets this designation via its prairie-like appearance despite being positioned between the Everglades and Biscayne Bay. Largely inhabited by an eclectic Hispanic population made up mostly of Cuban ancestry, over 90% of the population speaks Spanish as their first language.
Things You’ll Find Interesting About Hialeah:
- The Climate in Hialeah: Hot and humid summers and short, warm winters make this area very comfortable year-round.
- Getting Around in Hialeah: Hialeah residents enjoy service by the Miami Metrorail at Okeechobee, Hialeah, and Tri-Rail/Metrorail Transfer stations. The Tri-Rail station takes riders to Miami International Airport and north to West Palm Beach.
- Hialeah’s Economy: Well known businesses such as Wal-Mart and Target are prevalent, but Hialeah also hosts many local businesses that are unique to its environment. For example, Sedano's Supermarket is the largest Hispanic-owned supermarket chain in the United States.
- Things to do in Hialeah: The waters of nearby Matheson Hammock Park Beach are extremely calm, not to mention safe. This beach is recommended for families and those looking for a more laid-back beach experience.
- Shopping in Hialeah: Westfield Westland Mall is located on West 49th Street at the intersection of Palmetto Expressway in Hialeah. With over 87 stores and specialty shops, it proves to be one of the nicest shopping venues in the region. JCPenney, Macy’s, G by Guess, Bath & Body Works and Aeropostale are just a few of the stores available.
- Eating in Hialeah: For inexpensive and delicious local Cuban fare, try Tropical Restaurant on 9th Street in Hialeah. The quality and authenticity of their Cuban menu consistently gets rave reviews!
Moving to Hialeah, FL—Quick Links
Hialeah Public Schools
Hialeah Public Library
The service center for Hialeah, FL is located in Miami, FL.
Information about Hialeah, FL
Hialeah, FL Moving Resources: