Moving from Portland, OR to Anchorage, AK
You love Portland for its greenery, commitment to the environment, and half-million population, but there’s just something about Anchorage that draws you in. Maybe it’s the smaller population, or perhaps the mystique of being in America yet feeling so foreign. Could it be that you secretly yearn to uncover the myths of the Tizheruk, Adlet, and Qalupalik? Maybe you just want to see what all the fuss is about, or you want to pet a moose. Whatever your motivation for moving from Portland to Anchorage may be, keep in mind that your decision is sound. Anchorage has repeatedly been named “All-America City”, and is said to be the most tax-friendly city in the country. So you can trade Mount Hood for Mount Foraker and call it a day; all you have to do is get there first.
The journey from Portland to Anchorage
- 48 hours. Two whole days. On the shortest route, that’s how long you’ll be driving from Portland to Anchorage. Add in pit stops and you’re already booking a hotel or two!
- It’s not everyday that you can journey into the True North Strong and Free, so you may opt for the scenic route. Stop by Abbotsford, Quesnel, Prince George, and Whitehorse!
- Golden Ears Provincial Park in Abbottsford is the perfect scenic introduction to British Columbia. In Quesnel’s Cariboo District, there’s Ten Mile Lake and Pinnacles Park as well.
- Forests for the World offers miles of walking trails in Prince George, plus there’s Purden Ski Village resort! For scenery in Whitehorse, visit the Yukon River or Takhini Hot Springs!
Climate in Anchorage
- Once in Anchorage you’ll immediately notice the subarctic climate, but never fear, for strong maritime influences moderate the cold weather. Sound familiar?
- Summers in Anchorage are “mild” considering the location, with a good amount of rainfall and very long spans of daylight. The average high temperature for July is 66 F.
- Freezing temperatures, abundant snow, and consuming darkness sum up the Alaskan winter for Anchorage. Brace yourself for temperatures in the tens and 75 inches of snow!
- Unless you’re downtown, don’t expect to be able to walk just anywhere in Anchorage. A huge change from Portland, Anchorageites choose to drive in town.
- While walking is a no-go for the most part in Anchorage, biking is the polar opposite! The city features over 200 miles of bike trails for your convenience, but beware the black ice!
- If you so desire to use public transportation, remember these three main services: Alaska Yellow Cab, Checker Cab, and PeopleMover bus lines.
Schooling in Anchorage
- Anchorage School District serves the cities of Anchorage, Eagle River, Chugiak, Fort Richardson, and Elmendorf Air Force Base, overseeing 50,000 students in 98 schools!
- The University of Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Pacific University, Charter College, and Wayland-Baptist University’s Anchorage campus offer bachelor’s and master’s degrees!
- Other educational opportunities include several private, religious and non-denominational schools and choice educational facilities, including Nana Worksafe and CLE International!
Restaurants and attractions in Anchorage
- Gwennie’s is Alaska meets downhome Americana—try the sourdough pancakes and reindeer sausage! For the very best seafood in Anchorage, try Simon & Seafort’s!
- Traditional Italian fare can be found at ORSO Ristorante—try the mushroom ravioli! As for Asian-Alaskan fusion-type cuisine, there’s Ginger—try the wasabi mashed potatoes!
- Diamond Center Mall is the largest in Alaska, featuring a bowling alley, ice rink, movie theaters, and shops galore. Or, shop open air at the coveted Anchorage Market & Festival!
- Trek across the foothills of the Chugach Mountains or take your ten-speed out to Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Ski at Alyeska or find adventure at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park!
Now you’re ready to start moving from Portland to Anchorage; it’s your Alaska!
The service center for Portland, Oregon is located in
The service center for Anchorage, Alaska is located in
Information about Portland, OR
Information about Anchorage, AK