Moving from Philadelphia, PA to Charlotte, NC
Moving from Philadelphia, PA to Charlotte, NC
Though Philadelphia is larger in most aspects when compared to Charlotte, don’t let population size fool you. Charlotte stands behind New York City as the second largest financial center in the nation by assets, with corporations like Bank of America and Wells Fargo headquartered there. As the largest city in North Carolina with close to 775,200 Charlotteans, the city makes up the larger Charlotte–Concord–Gastonia metropolitan area of almost 2.3 million residents! Ambitious and growing rapidly, the city is a center of finance, technology, entertainment, and industry for the region, with a newfangled tourist industry coming up strong and a city-center worthy of accommodating. Located east of the Catawba River and southeast of Lake Norman, Charlotte has been granted its share of nicknames, from “Queen City” in honor of queen consort Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz to “The Hornet’s Nest” after General Cornwallis deemed the city “a hornet’s nest of rebellion” once he was driven out of the city by hostile residents. It’s a cool place to live—what’re you waiting for?
The trip from Philadelphia to Charlotte
- It’s 8½ hours on the road from Philadelphia to Charlotte once you’ve covered a decent 536 miles of interstate highways and intercity streets. A new home awaits—let’s make this fun!
- Once you mosey on out of Pennsylvania, you’ll find yourself traveling right through a few cities like Baltimore, Washington, Richmond and Durham, all where opportunity knocks!
- Test the waters at National Aquarium or get your peruse on at Baltimore Museum of Art! In Washington, pick your favorite Smithsonian exhibit or visit Honest Abe at his Memorial!
- Richmond is home to the Science Museum of Virginia and the serene Maymont Park! As for Durham, explore Eno River State Park or visit the esteemed Nasher Museum of Art!
- It’s possible to fly or even utilize public transit as an alternate method of moving from Philadelphia to Charlotte, the former lasting an hour and a half nonstop from $458!
Weather habits in Charlotte
- As you head south, expect a slight change in weather. While Charlotte shares a climate classification with Philly, Gulf of Mexico influences make the city warmer on all fronts!
- Summers are hot and humid in Charlotte at 89 F for July’s high temperature on average. It rains as much here as it does in Philly, 41 inches, with the most in August!
- While snow is sparse, it is common to see about four inches altogether. January’s average low is 29 F, and it is the snowiest month, meaning White Christmases are rare!
Getting around Charlotte
- I-85 runs northeast- southwest and I-77 north-south through Charlotte. Uptown’s layout is a grid, with most numbered streets running east-west. In center city, use the I-277 loop!
- Beware Charlotte’s difficult-to-navigate secondary road system. Very few of these roads sit in a grid or similar pattern, road names change frequently, and many roads share a name!
- Mass public transit in Charlotte is operated by CATS, with bus routes centered in Uptown & branching out to the suburbs, as well as interchangeable bus transfers with LYNX light rail!
Learn in Charlotte
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is the city’s public school system, second largest in the state and teaching 132,000 students separately in 161 elementary, middle & high schools!
- Many notable universities and colleges make their homes in Charlotte, such as Central Piedmont Community College, Charlotte School of Law, Belmont Abbey College and more!
- The Charlotte area is served by the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County’s 15 branches, with universal library cards between all 20 branches in surrounding towns!
Dine and have fun in Charlotte
- Portofino’s terrific pizzas are priced reasonably, Mama Ricotta’s homemade bread is to die for, and most formal Luce’s Rigatoni alla Buttera will have you twisting your moustache!
- Kalu is chic and stunning with Pan-Asian sampling varieties, Nikko is swanky with a choice of unique sushi rolls and Basil Thai’s fare is spicily fragrant, like its Crispy Red Curry Duck!
- Brunch is made with butterscotch scones at Pewter Rose Bistro, dinner is served at Good Food on Montford with Rubbed Pork Belly & Bonterra’s Fried Lobster Tail is just…amazing!
- French pastries and salted-caramel brownies live at Amélie’s, Cantina Fifteen Eleven’s specialty is Camerones Mojo y Ajo, & seafood at LaVecchia’s starts with Chilean Sea Bass!
- While Charlotte’s center city is weak in that it lacks a major retail outlet, the suburbs burst with options in Belgate, Concord Mills, Plaza-Midwood, Dilworth and Metropolitan Midtown!
- The south side of Uptown’s “museum district” is home to the stunning Mint Museum of Art and Bechtler Museum of Art, both housing notable, modern and contemporary collections!
- Catch an event at the historic Bojangles’ Coliseum or at Blumenthal & Spirit Square, cheer on the Panthers at Bank of America Stadium, or join the Motor Speedway NASCAR scene!
- Enjoy Charlotte’s natural beauty at the U.S. National Whitewater Center, find great music at The Milestone, attend one of many festivals, or check out Carowinds amusement park!
Let’s make moving from Philadelphia to Charlotte, “Queen City,” fun and easy!
For your state to state move, U-Pack® can help! We’re a self-moving service with affordable pricing, nationwide coverage and door-to-door delivery. Check rates with a quote online or over the phone.