Moving from Chicago, IL to Scottsdale, AZ
Leaving Chicago for The West’s Most Western Town
Moving 1,800 miles from Chicago to Scottsdale is a big change! From the shores of Lake Michigan to the Sonoran Desert, there’s a lot that’s different about living in Scottsdale. Take a look at how the two cities compare, and then read how U-Pack® can help you move.
Chicago vs. Scottsdale: What’s Different?
Chicago is home to more than 2.7 million people, but Scottsdale has about 250,000 residents. If you love big crowds and a bustling environment, work or hang out in nearby Phoenix. It’s only 12 miles west of Scottsdale with a population exceeding 1.6 million people.
Climate is one of the most significant changes you’ll notice. Chicago summers are hot and humid, while the winters are cold, rainy and snowy. Because Scottsdale is in a desert, the climate is arid. You’ll experience hot, intense summers and mild winters. Fortunately, the air is dry which helps keep the weather pleasant even in extreme temperatures. And with an average of 299 sunny days, Scottsdale is the ideal city for outdoor enthusiasts.
Moving for business? Though Chicago is a hub for finance, technology and transportation, Scottsdale’s job market continues to see major growth. The unemployment rate is a low 3.1%, and the median household income is $85,755, compared to Chicago’s $47,831. The city’s top industry is tourism, bringing in close to 9 million visitors in 2017. Other large employers include Honor Health, CVS Health, Mayo Clinic and Yelp.
Recreation and Amenities
With tourism as Scottsdale’s top industry, you’ll find no shortage of things to do. And as a new resident, you can enjoy these amenities whenever you want!
- Resorts and hotels. Why vacation when you can “staycation”? Plan a visit to one of the city’s 50 resorts for a fun weekend.
- Spas. Scottsdale is home to more than 50 luxury day, resort and health spas. Take a break from unpacking to relax and rejuvenate.
- Golf courses. The city is a popular destination for golf. And whether you want to play or watch, there are 51 courses to choose from.
- Mountains and trails. Spend the day discovering Arizona’s natural beauty. Hot spots include Camelback Mountain, Papago Park and Hole in the Rock.
How to Move from Chicago to Scottsdale with U-Pack®
Need help getting to Scottsdale? Choose U-Pack! With service centers near both cities, we can provide easy and quick service. Here’s how moving with U-Pack works:
- We deliver a moving trailer or container to your home in Chicago
- You have three business days to load
- We drive the equipment to your new home in Scottsdale
- You have three more business days to unload
- We pick up the empty equipment