Are You Moving to Fort Myer, VA?
There are a variety of factors—such as its prime location, perfect weather, and exciting work and entertainment opportunities—that continue to attract new residents to Fort Myer year-round.
- Climate – If you're tired of weather that is always too hot or too cold, then you're going to love moving to Fort Myer, VA! At the peak of the summer, you can expect temperatures to hover around a cool 80 degrees, while during the winter months temperatures settle in at the mid-30s. In addition to these moderate temperatures, precipitation in the area is generally very light throughout the year. All you'll have to worry about is choosing what to do in the amazing weather of this area!
- Population – No matter where you're moving from, moving to Fort Myer, VA, is going to open so many doors for you and your family! Fort Myer is located just outside of Washington, D.C. in the Washington Metropolitan Area—the 7th largest metropolitan area in the entire nation, with over 5.5 million people calling this region home! What does that mean for you? You get the ease of access to vital municipal services as well as a host of other benefits, without having to sacrifice the peace and serenity of Fort Myer's relaxed residential community.
- Education – One of the best things you can do for your children is move them into larger school districts, which almost always have more resources, better-trained educators, and more diverse learning programs than smaller school districts. Arlington County Public Schools is a district that offers just that! With over 21 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, and 3 high schools—not to mention over 22 alternative and advanced-curriculum campuses for students of all ages—Arlington County Public Schools gives you a choice in your children's education, so that your student receives the education that fits them best!
- Entertainment –Being just outside of the nation's capital city, moving to Fort Myer, VA, is like inviting fun-filled weekends for the rest of your life! Indeed, Fort Myer is located just a ten-minute drive from the White House, where you can take scheduled tours of one of the most iconic buildings in the world. Equally as close is the National Mall, where you can take your pick of exciting, interactive museums: from the National Gallery of Art, the National Air and Space Museum (now exhibiting the space shuttle Discovery!), the National Museum of Natural History, and the National Museum of the American Indian. Also be sure to check out the nearby United States Botanic Garden, displaying the beauty of nature for all to enjoy since 1820! And, who could forget the famous Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln Monuments? You will be exploring our nation's great history, its art, and its culture, in a way only the convenience of Fort Myer offers!
- Work – It almost doesn't have to be said, but moving to Fort Myer, VA, is the break you've been waiting for in your career! Major employers in the area include the federal government (about 30% of total jobs); international organizations such as the World Bank, Organization of American States, and the Pan-American Health Organization; over 300 national non-profit organizations such as AARP and the American Institutes for Research; and a number of privately-held companies like COMSAT, Allied Capital, and Marriott Hotels & Resorts.
Basics of the Base!
Opened in 1861 under the name Fort Cass, Fort Myer is one of the oldest still-operational military installations in the United States. Today, with the official name of Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Fort Myer is home to the 3rd United States Infantry Regiment and the U.S. Army Band. Additionally, the base is the final resting place of Black Jack—the riderless horse that walked in the funerals of Douglas MacArthur, President John F. Kennedy, and President Lyndon B. Johnson.
Final Info and Links
It's hard to find a city that offers so much history, outstanding weather conditions, a diverse array of employment and education opportunities, and such exciting entertainment possibilities. But, nevertheless, you will find all of this and so much more after moving to Fort Myer, VA. For any further information about moving to Fort Myer:
Base WebsiteThe service center for Fort Myer, VA is located in Manassas, VA.
Information about Fort Myer, VA