Are You Moving to Fort Sam Houston, TX?
It’s no wonder that San Antonio is one of the most popular cities in Texas. With its diverse job market, rich history, and variety of things to do and see, San Antonio attracts visitors and permanent residents alike. Known as “Military City USA,” San Antonio is home to five military installations, including Fort Sam Houston, more affectionately known as “Fort Sam.” As you learn about all that “Fort Sam” has to offer, it will steal your heart too and prove to be the place for you and your family to live.
Highlights of Moving to Fort Sam Houston, TX
There’s a reason why more than two million people call the San Antonio area home. With its sunny climate, great lifestyle, and Texan hospitality, it’s no wonder adjacent Fort Sam Houston is a wonderful place to relocate.
- Climate – The climate in Fort Sam Houston can be summarized in one word: Sunny. With 300 days of sunshine a year and below-average rainfall, the weather is ideal year round. You’ll never have to shovel snow on a Saturday morning or worry about your golf game being rained out. Your only worry will be choosing among so many outdoor activities each day.
- Population – Fort Sam Houston is home for a little over 100,000 of San Antonio’s two million residents. Not only does life in Fort Sam gives you access to everything San Antonio has to offer, but Fort Sam is a city in itself. Everything you need to register to vote, obtain a driver’s license, find a place to live, or connect your utilities is at your fingertips. As a military installation, it goes without saying that most residents are military personnel but there are over 3,000 civilian residents as well. Fort Sam offers the best of two worlds – you can enjoy the small-town feel of Fort Sam, with the diversity a big city has to offer.
- Education – If you're moving to Fort Sam Houston, TX, with your whole family, then schools are undoubtedly a big concern. The Fort Sam Houston Independent School District educates the children of active military personnel at three campuses: Fort Sam Houston Elementary School, Robert G. Cole Middle School, and Robert G. Cole High School. The Military School Districts Academy & Special Education Offices serves special needs students. The district prides itself on its history of educational excellence and the high rating it has earned in the Texas Public School Accountability System. You can move to Fort Sam secure in the knowledge that your children will achieve the academic foundation they need to excel in school, in life, and in the workforce.
- Entertainment – Fort Sam’s proximity to San Antonio brings abundance of recreational opportunities. Several must-see attractions include the Alamo, the Riverwalk, the Missions, the Alamodome, SeaWorld San Antonio, and the Six Flags Fiesta Texas theme park. The city features world-class parks such as Brackenridge Park, and is home to the San Antonio Zoo. Golf courses, art galleries, museums, cultural centers, and a smorgasbord of restaurants will also keep you busy and entertained. An active calendar of events includes rodeos and citywide celebrations such as the colorful 10-day Fiesta San Antonio. You will never be bored in Fort Sam. Your biggest challenge will be choosing among so many things to do and see.
- Work – Fort Sam Houston is a major contributor to the San Antonio and Texas economies. As a military installation, the workforce in Fort Sam Houston is mostly comprised of military personnel. Indeed, Fort Sam and the other military installations in the area make San Antonio home to one of the largest military concentrations in the United States. The defense industry employs over 89,000 in San Antonio and provides a $5.25 billion impact to the city's economy. Despite the high concentration of defense-related jobs, the San Antonio economy is quite diverse with four primary focuses: financial services, government, health care, and tourism. Residents of Fort Sam are luckier than most people who relocate to a new city – as members of the military, your job moves with you.
Final Info and Links
There's really nothing Fort Sam Houston doesn't offer. From the excellent educational opportunities to the astounding weather, Fort Sam Houston, TX, is not only a great place to work, but it’s also a great place to play! If you would like to find out more information before moving to Fort Sam Houston:
Drivers LicenseThe service center for Fort Sam Houston, TX is located in San Antonio, TX.
Information about Fort Sam Houston, TX