Moving to Independence, MO?
Independence is one of the fastest growing areas of the country—often thanks to the job opportunities found in the Kansas City metro area. This quaint suburb has a lot to offer in the way of culture, amenities, history, and entertainment. Independence has truly become an independent city and tourist destination completely separate from the draw of its big city neighbor.
Independence was originally established as a town center offering routes to the historic California, Santa Fe, and Oregon trails. Today just as many trails pass through this centralized region of the country, and a rich history and culture still thrives in the heart of its population. If you are moving to Independence, MO in the coming months, check out our highlights below for some great information about this original American city.
Moving to Independence, MO—Facts & Fun
- The weather in Independence. Summer highs in the upper 80s are the norm. Winter lows may regularly dip to the lower 20s. The climate is moderate with distinct seasonal changes.
- Getting around in Independence. Roughly an hour from downtown Kansas City by bus, Independence is served by The Metro, Kansas City’s comprehensive regional transit system.
- Educational Opportunities in Independence. From Accounting to Urban Studies, University of Missouri-Kansas City offers something for everyone seeking to complete their undergraduate degree. Multiple graduate degrees are also available and it is within driving distance of Independence.
- Independence, MO Libraries. Midwest Genealogy Center in Independence is the largest stand-alone public genealogy research library in America.
- Museums in Independence. Experience some of the wonderment of the times surrounding the 33rd president of the United States at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum.
- Playing in Independence. Cool Crest Family Fun Center offers miniature golf, arcade games, go-carts, batting cages, and more.
- Eating in Independence. Salad bistecca, pistachio salmon, filet with mac-and-cheese, steak Florentine are among the tempting dishes served daily at Café Verona, a local Italian favorite.
- Shopping in Independence. Moving to Independence, MO with a shopaholic? Take the whole family to the amazing Independence Center. Stores include Dillard’s, Macy's, Sears, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Bath & Body Works, Coldwater Creek, Limited too, Sephora, Helzberg Diamonds, Hollister, Kay Jewelers, Old Navy, Payless Shoes, and The Disney Store.
Moving to Independence, MO—Additional Resources The service center for Independence, MO is located in Kansas City, MO.
Things to Do
Information about Independence, MO