Planning on Moving to Berwyn, Illinois?
Berwyn, IL, is a suburb of Chicago, about 11 miles from downtown. Its 50,000 or so residents are fairly diverse, with 54% of the population of Hispanic descent. During the middle of the 20th century, there was a significant Czechoslovakian population, still celebrated in the annual Houby Day Parade. (It is still among the top 20 cities with highest percentage of persons of recent Czech ancestry.) It lies on Historic Route 66, which stretches all the way to California.
Things to Know about Moving to Berwyn, IL
- Shopping: Berwyn, IL, offers assortment of retail stores, providing for your home, food, apparel and business needs. The Northside Riverpark Mall is home to Marshall's, Office Depot and a number of clothing and specialty stores. Its proximity to Chicago and other of its suburbs will expand your choices significantly.
- Attractions: One of Berwyn's biggest attractions is actually rather useful, too: the world's largest laundromat! It has over 300 state-of-the-art washers and dryers (powered by solar energy) a children's play area, a video game area and a vending area with free coffee and donuts every morning. The local Arts Council promotes and supports arts and music in the area. The 15-acrea Proksa Park contains a number of plants, a small pond with stream and various recreational facilities. It is also near the Cook Country Forest Preserve and Columbus Park. Chicago, just 10 miles down the road, offers some of the richest art and music experiences in the world.
- Transportation: Berwyn, IL, is served by Interstate 290, the Dwight D. Eisenhower Expressway which extends east to Chicago and westward to Interstate 88. It is only 30 minutes from Chicago O'Hare International Airport, one of the world's largest.
- Education: There are twelve public K-8 schools in Berwyn as well as a couple of Catholic primary schools.
- Weather: Temperatures vary greatly between summer and winter. In the winter, highs average in the 30s and 40s with an average of about 10 inches of snow per month during December, January and February. Summer is marked by warmer weather, fairly humid and average highs over 80 degrees.
- Fun Facts: The Spindle, an art installation in Berwyn, IL, comprised of eight cars skewered on a large pole, was featured in the hit movie Wayne's World. Notable residents from or of Berwyn include professional sports figures George Bernhardt, Gary Hallberg and Bob Miller as well as ecologist/photographer Verna Johnston.
More Information for Moving to Berwyn, ILThe service center for Berwyn, IL is located in Des Plaines, IL.
Getting a driver’s license in Berwyn
Registering to vote in Berwyn
Child care in Berwyn
Schools in Berwyn
Information about Berwyn, IL