Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX
Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX
To go from living in Wisconsin’s largest city to moving to the fourth most populous city in the nation is quite the leap, and an excitable one at that. Houston is home to more than 2.1 million people, the result of an ever-growing international immigration and a recent oil boom. The city is also home to such veritable “landmarks” as the Texas Medical Center and Johnson Space Center of NASA, where Mission Control Center is located. Along with a slew of hidden gems to be found throughout, perhaps the biggest attractions to this global city include a broad industrial base in energy, aeronautics, transportation, and manufacturing. Your soon-to-be new friends of the sprawling, Southeastern Texas port city, once named “The Coolest City in the U.S.,” are here waiting. The question remains…what are you waiting for?
The trip from Milwaukee to Houston
- The shortest drive from Milwaukee to Houston clocks in at 18 hours minimum and 1,174 miles. From the looks of it, a full-blown road trip is in order!
- You’ll pass through as many as five different states on your way; what’s a better reason to stop for fun? Test out the waters in Kankakee, Champaign, Little Rock, and Nacogdoches!
- Stop by the Kankakee Railroad Museum or the Kankakee River for a bit of sightseeing on your way, or pay a visit to Champaign’s Staerkel Planetarium or Krannert Art Museum!
- When in Little Rock, check out William J. Clinton Presidential Center and Park, or Arkansas Arts Center! In Nacogdoches, try zip lining at Zip Nac, or see Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden!
Weather for Houston
- Compared to Milwaukee’s humid continental climate, Houston has a humid subtropical climate, warranting Gulf moisture, desert winds, and spring supercell thunderstorms.
- Summer humidity raises the heat index above the actual temperature, which is 93 F on average for July. Thankfully, Houston is the “most air-conditioned place on earth!”
- Houston winters are mild, with average lows only going as low as 43 F in January, and the city replaces Milwaukee’s 50 inches of snow with 50 inches of rainfall annually!
- Construction and traffic will hinder the driving experience in Houston. Nevertheless, be aware of IH-45 North, IH-45 South, IH 10 West, IH 10 East, and IH-610, among others.
- The METRO transit system provides service via bus, light rail, and lift vans. METRORail light rail service is hugely popular in Houston, with one-way service for just $1.25!
- While cyclists in Houston will normally use the city’s 290 miles of marked bike routes for exercise only, anyone willing is urged to enjoy cycling, whether solely or inter-modally!
- Among Houston’s 17 school districts, Houston Independent School District stands out as the largest with 202,000 students in 112 magnet or vanguard campuses from Pre-K3-12.
- 300 private schools are encompassed by the Houston area, as well as a variety of different religious and secular viewpoints expressed through Houston Area Independent Schools!
- Four separate and distinct state universities belong to the City of Houston: the University of Houston Main, Downtown, and Clear Lake campuses, and Texas Southern University!
Restaurants and attractions in Houston
- Try the fresh, innovative and organic Mediterranean food by chef Monica Pope at T’afia! Or, feast on chef Bryan Caswell’s creative seafood fare at Reef—try the crispy snapper!
- If “monster-portions” fit your idea of good eating, you’ll love Maggiano’s Little Italy—try the veal marsala! If you just want a good burger, try Champ-Burger’s steak burger!
- Shopaholics rejoice—prices in Houston are typically lower than most other big cities, making shopping in Uptown all the more fun, and don’t forget the Houston Galleria!
- There’s tons to do in Houston, from attending the Bayou City Arts Festival to seeing the Houston Astros play, visiting Downtown Aquarium or swimming in the Trinity Bay!
You’re almost there! Start moving from Milwaukee to Houston, the “Space City,” today!
Find out how U-Pack can help you move from Milwaukee to Houston. With nationwide coverage, easy moving service and affordable rates, we're the best way to move yourself across the country.