Moving from Boston, MA to San Jose, CA
Bridging the Gap from Beantown to Silicon Valley
If Boston is a living history book, then consider San Jose a futuristic thriller. This culturally diverse, sprawling city of nearly 2 million is a global center of innovation. San Jose draws the brightest technology professionals from near and far to work for nearby giants like Google, Apple and Facebook.
Moving from Boston may be hard emotionally. You’ll miss the rich history, the fall foliage, the world-class schools, and those exciting summer nights at Fenway Park. But San Jose has much share! Learn more about this booming Bay Area metropolis and discover how U-Pack® can help you plant new roots.
The term “Silicon Valley” is a nickname for the southern region of the San Francisco Bay Area. It’s home to many of the world’s largest tech corporations, as well as thousands of tech startup companies. More specifically, it’s the center of the miniaturized electronics industry, and most of the devices built there are made of semiconductors like silicon.
Spending Time and Money
If a tech job is bringing you to San Jose, get ready to spend that healthy salary — and lots of time commuting. San Jose’s cost of living one of the highest in the country — not just for housing, but for groceries, utilities and fuel as well. It also ranks as one of the worst cities for traffic (along with Boston).
Fun In Town and Beyond
Take advantage of San Jose’s 300-plus sunny days a year and explore your new surroundings:
- Head downtown to San Pedro Square Market for local farm-fresh produce. Then, check out the upscale shops and boutiques at Santana Row in West San Jose.
- Enjoy a day of family fun at California’s Great America theme park in neighboring Santa Clara.
- Tour the quirky 160-room Winchester Mystery House, a California Historical Landmark.
- Find some tranquility at Japanese Friendship Garden. The space was built in 1965 as a symbol of everlasting friendship between San Jose and its sister city, Okayama, Japan.
- Learn about Silicon Valley’s computer industry at the Tech Museum of Innovation.
- Cheer on the Sharks (NHL) and Earthquakes (MSL) and 49ers (NFL).
- Charming Santa Cruz and its beaches are a 45-minute drive away.
- Get a taste of the region with a day trip to beautiful Napa Valley wine country.
Go West With U-Pack
Do you know the way to San Jose? U-Pack does. With our conveniently located service centers, we can get you there fast — usually in 2-5 business days! All you do is pack and load, and we’ll do the driving. Get a free online quote or call [phone: number] to find out why U-Pack is an excellent option for your long-distance move.