GET A FREE QUOTE & MOVING GUIDE IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
GET A FREE QUOTE & MOVING GUIDE IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
Lower Price When You Need It Most: U-Pack Military Relocation
Did you know that the government offers special incentives to service members with PCS orders who move themselves? It's called a DITY Move (now referred to as a PPM, or Personally Procured Move), and it's an excellent way to save money. In fact, if you can move your belongings for less than what the government would have paid to move you, you can actually make money on your move. That's great news for military families on a fixed budget.
So, how is it possible to put money back in your pocket doing a DITY move? It's simple. Go U-Pack!
You pack, load, and unload — U-Pack does the driving. And when you're moving long distance, U-Pack offers a lower price almost every time.
Get a free moving quote today and see why so many military families choose U-Pack as their DITY move solution.
Frequently Asked Questions About Military DITY Moving
What is a DITY/PPM move?
A DITY (do-it-yourself) or PPM (Personally Procured Move) is a move that allows you to handle your own moving arrangements instead of the government doing it for you. While there's a little more work involved, the potential to earn a profit makes it worth the extra effort.
Am I eligible for a military DITY move? How much am I eligible for?
To determine if and how much you're eligible for, contact your origin Transportation Office (TO) or Personal Property Transportation Office (PTO). Your allowance will depend on rank, shipment weight and the locations you're moving to and from. When you select a DITY moving option, you will receive 95% of the cost of what the military would have paid a full-service moving company to move you.
Why is U-Pack best for military relocation?
It's simple. Beyond low prices, U-Pack DITY moves allow you to move on your own time, on your own terms, just the way you want. Pack and load at your own pace, and drive in your own vehicle to your new duty station. U-Pack gives up to 3 business days for loading and unloading, and transit times average 2-5 business days. But that's not all. There's no down-payment or deposit, and your belongings are never co-mingled, transferred or unloaded. They stay right where they're loaded until you're ready to unload — even if you select storage.
Compare U-Pack to a Government arranged relocation and you'll find that many military movers take 4 to 6 weeks to complete a move. Not the ideal situation when you're trying to settle into a new home in a new city. Then consider that with full-service movers you'll likely pay a down-payment and you can expect your belongings to be co-mingled and/or transferred at some point in transit.
Go U-Pack! It's the smart move for military relocation.
Does U-Pack provide certified weight tickets?
Yes! When requested, we can supply both empty and full certified weight tickets — a requirement for DITY move reimbursement. And, through U-Pack's Red White & Move program, weight tickets are absolutely FREE for moves that occur from October 1, 2012 through February 28, 2013! Call today 800-240-7422!
Can I get advance payment for my DITY move?
If approved, under the Advance Payment Program, you can receive up to 60% advance payment to help cover expenses that pertain directly to your move. Contact your TO or PTO to determine if you qualify.
Are hotels and meals reimbursable DITY move expenses?
Since hotel stays and meal expenses are not included in the movement of your personal property, they are not reimbursable DITY move expenses. Questions? Make sure to ask your TO or PTO.
How do I start planning my military move with U-Pack?
- Contact your origin TO or PTO to schedule a counseling session as soon as you receive PCS or TDY orders.
- Complete an application for a DITY move and request an Advanced Operating Allowance (if applicable).
- Contact U-Pack for a free moving quote (online or by phone).
- Once your PPM is approved, reserve your U-Pack move online or by calling 800-240-7422.
- Pick up your Advance Operating Allowance from your local dispersing office.
What documents are required for a Military DITY move?
Once you arrive at your new duty station, you must submit your claim (including these documents) within 45 days of completing your move.
- The forms provided by your origin TMO/JPSO (including DD Form 2278 — Application for DITY Move and Counseling Checklist & DD Form 1351-2 — Travel Voucher or Sub-voucher)
- Certified empty and full weight tickets. (2 copies)
- PCS orders
- All Expense Receipts (including U-Pack delivery receipt, packing material receipts etc.)
- Other required documents mentioned in your initial counseling session
The manner in which these forms are submitted differs based on your branch of service. Follow the instructions given during your initial counseling session.
What other things do I need to do before, during, and after my military relocation?
- Print a copy of U-Pack's comprehensive moving checklist and keep it with you throughout your move.
- Visit the website for your new duty station — you'll normally find information on educational opportunities, employment opportunities, family readiness groups, recreational opportunities and other resources.
- Search the nearest towns to your installation on U-Pack's coverage map. Find out what to expect when you get there.
Now that you're familiar with how U-Pack makes DITY moving easy and affordable, call today to see how much you'll save — 800-240-7422. U-Pack representatives are here to help Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. — 8 p.m. CST. Or, get an instant moving quote online anytime!