Moving to Yonkers, NY?
One out of every sixteen Americans lives within the metro area of New York City. It is truly the icon for American culture, business, and entertainment. With over 19 million residents, it is the 4th largest metro area in the world and the largest in the United States. If you are moving to Yonkers, NY you will be moving to a city whose border is a mere two miles from Manhattan, the center of the action.
Yonkers has a beautiful, hilly landscape. Coupled with an impeccable transit system and a friendly neighborhood atmosphere, Yonkers has truly carved out its own identity within this very urbanized region. Here are a few pointers on what to see and do before and after you finish moving to Yonkers; make a quick, seamless transition into your new life in this great city.
Moving to Yonkers, NY—Places To Go
- Yonkers Parks and Recreation. Looking for some green space after a day in the concrete jungle? Take the kids to Andrus Park and Playground! Its 25 acres includes baseball and soccer fields, playground equipment, and free tennis courts.
- Pools in Yonkers. Get in some laps for $15 a week at Yonkers’ Mark Twain Pool Complex. Open swim for the whole family is held on Friday nights.
- Best places to Eat in Yonkers. Zagat rated East Harbor restaurant offers some of the best authentic Chinese in New York. If you’re in the mood for pizza, try local favorite Pizza Beat on Yonkers’ Central Park Ave.
- Yonkers Coffee Shops. Traditional Irish Coffee is poured plentifully at The Irish Coffee Shop in Yonkers. The New York Daily News rated the Irish breakfast #1 in the state too!
- Wine Connoisseurs in Yonkers. If you are moving to Yonkers, NY with a love of fine wines, try 87 Vines on the eastern side of Yonkers. They offer a full menu and a true Manhattan wine bar experience.
- Travel the outskirts of Yonkers. One of the most popular things to do in Yonkers is get out of Yonkers! Hop on one of the four train systems that serve the area, or travel to majestic downtown Manhatten by ferry boat. Yonkers residents also enjoy a more car-oriented environment than the burroughs of New York. Parking is less problematic, and traffic is manageable.
- Sports in Yonkers. Professional sports associated with New York City and New England are all time favorites in Yonkers. Yankee Stadium is a mere 24 minute train ride away. Otherwise catch a New York Rangers hockey game at Madison Square Garden. Train commutes there are under an hour.
- Shopping in Yonkers. If you are moving to Yonkers, NY to get out of the city, rest assured there are plenty of comparable shopping options. Sears, Macy’s, and Old Navy anchor the pleasant Cross County Shopping Center, which also features such stores as A/X Armani Exchange, Forever 21, H&M, and Victoria's Secret.
Moving to Yonkers, NY—Convenient Links
City WebsiteThe service center for Yonkers, NY is located in Brooklyn, NY.
Chamber of Commerce
Information about Yonkers, NY
Yonkers, NY Moving Resources: