Highlights of Moving to Fort Lee, VA
Whether you're searching for great employment opportunities, longing for a city that can entertain young and old alike, or just looking to enjoy the peace and quiet of a residential community, moving to Fort Lee, VA, guarantees satisfaction! While many cities offer some of the same promises, there are several aspects about Fort Lee that make it truly stand out among them all.
- Climate – Summer lovers should expect to be outside every single day! While you are enjoying your summer, you can relax in a refreshing 80 degrees. A small rainy season in the summer months helps to cool the area even further. During the winter, temperatures can fall to the mid-30s, although this is rare. So, don't worry—moving to Fort Lee, VA, doesn't mean trading off great weather.
- Population – The area around Chesapeake Bay, although very populous, is surprisingly open! The same holds true for Fort Lee. Situated on the eastern edge of the city of Petersburg (population 30,000), Fort Lee itself is home to just over 7,000. What does that mean for you? Speedy access to vital services granted by the city life—such as registering to vote and applying for your driver’s license—without having to give up the serenity of a small residential community.
- Education – You're not the only one moving to Fort Lee, VA! Chances are, your whole family is moving with you—kids included! You'll be pleased to know that when they arrive, the Petersburg City Public School district welcomes them with open arms and a promise: “to challenge and provide the necessary support so that each student will achieve at his or her highest potential.” With 9 schools in the district, you and your family can choose the perfect fit for your student!
- Entertainment – Even if you're moving to Fort Lee, VA, for another reason, the wealth of entertainment activities is certainly an added benefit! The state of Virginia, with a history dating back to the colonial times, is home to a number of different museums and historical sites for your enjoyment. In the area around Fort Lee, such attractions include the Museum of the Confederacy and the American Civil War Center. The Science Museum of Virginia, which aims to inspire people to enrich their lives through science, is open seven days a week and is sure to be an enthralling experience for all ages! For a more refined entertainment, the Byrd Theatre hosts theatrical performances all year long, and Gallery5 exhibits art collections from around the world. For some classic Virginian cuisine, Poe's Pub is a local favorite. You'll never run out of exciting ways to spend your weekend!
- Work – In addition to the military base, there are several major employers in the area around Fort Lee. These include Dominion Resources, CarMax, Genworth Financial, Altria Group—all Fortune 500 companies—and Universal Corporation, a Fortune 1000 company. With the nearby city of Richmond being named the third best city for business in the nation, you can rest assured that moving to Fort Lee, VA, means moving to an area of economic strength, resilience, and dependability.
Basics of the Base!
Founded in 1917, Fort Lee has led a rich career during the course of its operation. Currently serving as an installation of the United States Army, Fort Lee is the headquarters of the U.S. Army Combined Arms Support Command/Sustainment Center of Excellence, a number of educational institutions for military personnel, and the U.S. Defense Commissary Agency. The base also hosts the Army Quartermaster Museum and the Army Women's Museum. Today, over 7,000 people currently reside in Fort Lee.
Final Info and Links
It's clear to see why moving to Fort Lee, VA is a good idea. Unlike other cities on the East Coast, Fort Lee's climate is calm, with very few extremes. Its population is small, yet large enough to accommodate your family with access to useful city services. And its economy is one of the strongest east of the Mississippi. If you still have any questions about moving to Fort Lee, VA, or would simply like to find out more information:
Local AreaThe ABF service center for Fort Lee, VA is located in Richmond, VA.
Information about Fort Lee, VA
Fort Lee, VA Moving Resources: