Are You Moving to Fort Jackson, SC?
Chances are, if you're moving to Fort Jackson, SC, or the surrounding area, you're probably being stationed at the military base there. However, a huge variety of factors make Fort Jackson the ideal place for everyone! Conveniently situated outside of the State of South Carolina's capital city – Columbia – Fort Jackson gives you what you want most: the ability to live just on the cusp of a major city, enjoying the peace and seclusion of a residential area, while still benefiting from the services a larger city provides.
Highlights of Moving to Fort Jackson, SC?
Many opportunities await you and your family in Fort Jackson, ranging from exciting entertainment to dependable employment positions. So go ahead—use the information here to learn a bit more about what you can expect upon arriving, and make your move to Fort Jackson the easiest one yet!
- Climate – You are going to love the temperate weather in Fort Jackson! It's never too hot, with an average summer temperature in the low-80s, and winters are also surprisingly mild, with temperatures settling in at around 50 degrees. Precipitation is also relatively uncommon, being evenly distributed throughout the whole year. So when you're moving to Fort Jackson, bring a few T-shirts!
- Population – Fort Jackson is located beside Columbia, SC, population 130,000. This Southern city boasts a diverse array of ethnicities, creating a rich culture in which your family can grow! Being right by the big city will grant you access to quick and easy services such as voter registration and drivers license renewal or application.
- Education – Moving to Fort Jackson, SC, doesn't have to be hard on your kids. Your children will love attending Richland District One or Richland District Two, where an excellent selection of almost 50 elementary schools, 16 middle schools, and 14 high schools are available! If your children crave intellectual stimulation beyond what your average public school provides, both districts feature magnet/charter programs and campuses across the city. Your kids will finally be able to receive the personalized education that best suits their needs and wants. You may also be interested to know that nearby Columbia is home to several colleges and universities—among them, the University of South Carolina and the prestigious Columbia College.
- Entertainment – There are a whole host of exciting activities to experience in and around Fort Jackson! A number of museums, such as the South Carolina State Museum and the African American History Monument, keep the area's rich colonial history alive in modern times. If you're looking for laughter, look no further than nationally-renowned The Comedy Zone, with multiple comedians performing every Saturday night. For a more refined recreational experience, be sure to visit the Columbia Museum of Art or the Nickelodeon Theatre, a completely non-profit cinema. The Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center also hosts a potpourri of activities and exhibitions that are sure to delight and excite you and your family year-round! The kids will be pleased to know that the Village at Sandhill, a large mall and commercial center, is open seven days a week and will more than satisfy their shopping, eating, and playing needs. There will never be a dull moment after moving to Fort Jackson, SC!
- Work – Fort Jackson is the ideal place to work for civilians! With large employers such as BlueCross BlueShield of S.C., Verizon Wireless, and UPS, it’s easy to see that Fort Jackson is just another way of saying “job dependability.” You'll also save on gas by moving to Fort Jackson! Their bus system expands across Fort Jackson and the capital city, and is on the cutting edge of public transportation.
On Base Scoop
Fort Jackson is the U.S. Army’s central base for Basic Combat Training. This base produces 50% of the Army’s Basic Combat Training load and produces well over the majority of women entering the military. Their goal is “Providing the Army with trained, disciplined, motivated and physically fit warriors who espouse the Army's core values and are focused on teamwork is the post's primary mission. Accomplishing that mission means training in excess of 36,000 basic training and 8,000 advanced individual training Soldiers every year.” Besides military personnel, Fort Jackson is also home to over 3500 civilian employees, who perform necessary functions for maintaining life in Fort Jackson
Final Info and Links
Fort Jackson is a growing city, and it wants you to know that you are invited to participate in the progress! No matter your reason for moving to Fort Jackson, SC, you can be confident that this city of the south is exactly what you've been searching for.
Local City WebsiteThe service center for Fort Jackson, SC is located in Columbia, SC.
Richland District One
Richland District Two
Information about Fort Jackson, SC
Fort Jackson, SC Moving Resources: