Moving to Eagle River, Alaska - Chugiak-Eagle River
Eagle River is on the northern section of the Municipality of Anchorage, close to the Chugach Mountains. The Municipality of Anchorage has a population of approximately 295,570. Eagle River is just north of Anchorage and along with its twin community Chugiak, are home to almost 30,000 of Alaska’s residents. If you commute to Anchorage for work, you will have a drive of about 14 miles, but because Eagle River is distanced from Anchorage, you’ll have a secluded area where beauty abounds to explore and delight in all that surrounds your home! We think you’re going to love moving to Eagle River!
Eagle River Climate
- Sunlight hours are something different in Alaska and vary throughout the year. In Eagle River, sunlight changes from 6 hours of sunlight per day during the winter months to 19 hours of sunlight per day during the summer months! So, during the summer, the sun could be up by 4:30 a.m. and not set until midnight! Conversely, during the winter, the sun might rise around 10 a.m. and set by 4 p.m.!
- Yearly precipitation in Eagle River is about 15 inches which includes 69 inches of snow!
- Average summer temperatures range in the 50s with average winter temperatures in the teens which also might creep down into subzero temperatures from time to time. Temperatures can climb into the 70s in summer, so do bring along your shorts and flip flops!
- It would be advisable to have insulated boots, long johns, and a warm winter coat for winters!
- Spring and fall you can most likely get by with long sleeves and maybe a windbreaker and a hat!
Schools in Eagle River
- There are several public and parochial schools in Eagle River as well as charter school programs for all grade levels K-12.
- Schools in Eagle River are organized within the Anchorage School District which serves approximately 50,000 students.
- Homeschool is a popular option in Alaska and Alaskan homeschool laws are favorable to the homeschooling student and family.
- For upper level education, Eagle River is home to University of Alaska Anchorage Community and Technical College which serves 5,000 students every year and offers varied classes in all major disciplines.
- Alaska Bible College, located in Glennallen, AK, offers an Anchorage extension for students seeking Christian education.
- Additionally, there are several other colleges in Anchorage such as University of Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Pacific University, Wayland Baptist University, and many more!
Getting Around Eagle River
- Most of the area folks in and around Eagle River rely upon cars for their transportation. If you plan to drive when moving to Eagle River, remember that you will be passing through Canada, which will require you to obtain a passport or picture ID with your birth certificate.
- If you plan to take your pets along, you will need to get certificates of health from your veterinarian for crossing over the border.
- If you prefer traveling around town via a transit service, the Eagle River area has connects with AnchorRIDES, which provides limited weekday service plus an ADA paratransit vehicle for eligible patrons as well.
Eagle River Entertainment
- There are countless things to do and places to go and sights to see in Eagle River! One such place is The Chugach State Park Eagle River Nature Center, which has great hiking trails, an interpretive center and seasonal educational programs.
- One of the shorter trails, Thunder Bird Falls, north of Chugiak with access off the Glenn Highway, is a must see, well maintained, and has a gorgeous waterfall near the end!
- South Fork Falls is another scenic beauty, located on Hiland Road next to Spirit Park.
- No matter your favorite activity, you’ll find so many choices in Eagle River, from glacier and ice climbing to biking, rock climbing, swimming, dog mushing, fishing, rafting and kayaking! Additionally, just 15 minutes south of downtown Eagle River is Alpenglow at Arctic Valley for Nordic downhill skiing! You’ll never tire of all the challenging and fun things to do when moving to Eagle River!
Eagle River’s Best Restaurants
- From Pizza to Mexican to just about any cuisine you crave can be found in and around Eagle River!
- Here are just a few of the local favorites: Wasabi Garden, Pizza Man, Haute Quarter Grill, Chepo’s Mexican Restaurant, Jalapeno’s, Pho and Thai, Shines Sushi, and Jitters!
- If you plan to be in Anchorage, be sure to check out these great restaurants: Jens’ Restaurant, Sacks Cafe and Restaurant, Kinley’s Restaurant, and Southside Bistro!
Moving to Eagle River - Helpful Links for NewcomersThe ABF service center for Eagle River, AK is located in Anchorage, AK.
Chugiak-Eagle River Chamber of Commerce
Eagle River DMV
Eagle River Connect
Eagle River Nature Center
Information about Eagle River, AK
Eagle River, AK Moving Resources: