GET A FREE QUOTE & MOVING GUIDE IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
GET A FREE QUOTE & MOVING GUIDE IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
U-Pack's 30 Best Moving Tips
After carrying more than 500,000 shipments over 600 million miles, U-Pack has gained some impressive knowledge about how to make the most out of your moving experience. Take a look at this list of useful moving tips to help your move go off without a hitch.
- You can hire someone to do the packing, loading and unloading for you, but you'll save significantly by doing the labor on your own. Get a free instant moving quote and compare.
- If you have the ability to do a terminal to terminal move (loading and unloading at the local ABF service center) you can see a savings of up to $300.
- ABF moving trailers measure 28' x 8'6" x 9'. They are wider and taller than a rental truck. So when you're comparing U-Pack prices to rental truck prices, make sure to compare equivalent sizes. Check out the Truck Rental Conversion Estimator if you're unsure.
- Your U-Pack price is based on the linear footage your shipment occupies in the moving trailer or the number of ReloCubes you need. And you only pay for the space you use. So before you start loading, do a room-by-room purge to get rid of the things you don't need to move.
- You can lower the overall price of your move by spending less while you're traveling cross country in your own vehicle: Bring along a cooler with snacks and drinks to avoid buying expensive treats at gas stations along the way; plan ahead and use sites like priceline.com to book discounted hotels; check out ways you can save on fuel while you're traveling.
- If you reserve your move online between 01/24/2012 and 05/31/2013, you can save $25 on your move!
- Reserve your trailer or ReloCube at least 30 days before your move date to guarantee availability. If that's not possible (and sometimes it isn't), call 800-355-1696 and many times we can accommodate last-minute moves.
- If you're moving during the holidays or the "peak" moving season (May through August), make your reservation early. This is the time when we're most likely to book up.
- If you're hiring packing and loading help, reserve the moving trailer or ReloCube for the day before they're scheduled to arrive.
- You have up to three business days to load your belongings. If you need more time, you can schedule your moving day on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and get the weekend at no additional charge.
- U-Pack transit times are estimated. Though we make every effort to arrive within the estimated time, and typically do, there is always a possibility of taking longer. You can guarantee the exact day your shipment will arrive or speed up transit time by adding U-Pack Guaranteed.
- Once your reservation is made, we will email or mail a copy of your Bill of Lading – make sure to read the terms and call with any questions. If you want to see a sample Bill of Lading ahead of time, you can do that here: http://www.upack.com/moving-resources/moving-forms.asp
- Trailers and ReloCubes require safe, legal parking – trailers require at least 35 feet of level parking and ReloCubes require a single standard-size parking space. Make certain to contact your local police, city, HOA or apartment manager prior to your moving day to determine if parking is available and if permits are required.
- The most important things to have available when you start packing are: boxes (that are designed for moving), markers, scissors/box knife, furniture blankets, a tool kit, garbage bags, mattress bags, packing tape, bubble wrap, paper padding, and newsprint.
- Though plastic totes may seem like a good idea for moving, they're actually not. They're not designed to withstand the weight of other packed totes and boxes when they're stacked floor to ceiling. Since their edges don't meet, they fail to hold their shape integrity like traditional moving boxes.
- When it comes to packing, make sure that you label every box. It can be as simple as using a Sharpie to indicate what's in the box and what room it's destined for.
- Not everything should be packed in the moving truck – pack your valuables and irreplaceable items separately and take them with you.
- If you're traveling through the summer or in climates known for high temperatures, keep CDs, DVDs and software with you – they may melt.
- Pack an essentials kit with all the things you know you'll need before your shipment arrives.
- Make sure you keep important documents like birth certificates, social security cards, shot records, etc. with you. You may need them for tasks like registering children for school or doctor visits.
- Take all necessary medications with you.
- If you are celebrating a birthday or holiday, starting a new job, have a child playing a sport, etc. and may need special clothing or supplies before your trailer or ReloCube arrives, make sure to bring them along with you. For example, presents, decorations, suit/work clothes, uniforms, sporting equipment, etc.
- You'll need to cancel utilities in the city you're moving from, and connect them in the city you're moving to. We recommend waiting to make water, electric and gas cancelations effective the day after your move-out day – just in case it takes you longer than expected to get on the road. We recommend turning services on at your new place the day before move-in day.
- One linear foot is equal to 12 inches in length. With every linear foot you also get a space that's 8'6" wide and 9' tall. Packing high and tight not only utilizes space efficiently, it also helps your belongings to travel better. Just be sure to secure the items with straps, rope or cord as you load.
- Proper packing and loading is essential for a successful move. Don't forget to read our packing tips and loading tips pages, and watch U-Pack's moving videos.
- Pack linens, pillows and other soft items in garbage bags to use as cushions or fillers in your trailer or ReloCube.
- Securing your belongings with straps, ropes or cords is the best way to keep them from shifting in transit. All of our moving trailers have wooden floor panels that run the length of the trailer. Feel free to nail attachments or blocks to brace/separate your items. Just remember to remove these when you unload the trailer.
- Once your shipment arrives at your destination, unpack bedding, bathroom, and cleaning items first. You'll want to be able to sleep, shower and clean right away. After these rooms are semi-finished, start tackling the kitchen.
- A great way to get familiar with your new city is to subscribe to the online or print version of the local newspaper.
- A good way to meet people in your new city is to get involved in activities you're interested in: mommy groups, churches, singles groups, running clubs, gardening clubs, biking clubs, book clubs, business associations, community groups, philanthropic groups, etc.
Have more questions about moving with U-Pack, or moving in general? Call us at 800-355-1696 and we'll gladly help. You can also visit the U-Pack Blog as use the "Ask the Experts" tool to ask a question and get more moving tips and advice. Not a U-Pack customer yet? Get a free moving quote to see how easy and affordable it is to move with U-Pack! We drive. You save.®